Florecents.

Hi everyone!

Im about to shoot my grad film in two weeks. It is set in an office, and I wish to utilise the existing office lighting which means possibly using the over head florecents. I have done tests, but could only afford to do use the stills cassettes that Kodak offer (which you load into an SLR camera). I was wondering if there was a danger with the floros flickering on screen. If so, is there any way to determine this without shooting some test footage - eg, indications on the bulb itself etc?

I am shooting on an sr2 using 7229

Thanks, Ben Jones - surrey institute (U.K)

Hi everyone!

Im about to shoot my grad film in two weeks. It is set in an office, and I wish to utilise the existing office lighting which means possibly using the over head florecents. I have done tests, but could only afford to do use the stills cassettes that Kodak offer (which you load into an SLR camera). I was wondering if there was a danger with the floros flickering on screen. If so, is there any way to determine this without shooting some test footage - eg, indications on the bulb itself etc?

I am shooting on an sr2 using 7229

Thanks, Ben Jones - surrey institute (U.K)

have you tried gelling the lights w/ a -green gel? If you are actually filming the office lights, you can switch the bulbs.

have you tried gelling the lights w/ a -green gel?  If you are actually filming the office lights, you can switch the bulbs.

When you are going to shoot with the flourecent lights on the you must first find out the CT of the lights. Then don't go for highspeed ,if it is a highspeed you will notice the flicker obviously. Add the correct CC filter on the light which you know already.

L.K.Keerthibasu

• Premium Member

If you are shooting crystal-sync at "safe" speeds and shutter combinations, you won't get flicker. There are charts that can tell that, but if you are shooting under 50hz lighting in the U.K., then you should be fine at 25 fps crystal at typical shutter speeds, or 24 fps crystal at 172 degrees (I believe -- someone from the U.K. should answer this question.)

When you are going to shoot with the flourecent lights on the you must first find out the CT of the lights.  Then don't go for highspeed ,if it is a highspeed you will notice the flicker obviously.  Add the correct CC filter on the light which you know already.

L.K.Keerthibasu

note taken thx for the info.