Mpeg2 audio and video

Brian Rose

All,

I have Adobe Premiere Pro, and I want to export a five minute trailer of a feature I am directing. I want to use Mpeg2, so I can get the highest quality and still fit it on a CDR. But, whenever I export the video, it comes in two separate files, one with the video, and one with the audio. Does anyone know how I can combine them, so when I play the final product the two will be in sync? I would be grateful for any help!

Sincerely,

Brian Rose

That's called "muxing" (short for multiplexing), and it occurs when a DVD you've authored is compiling. There are other software utilities out there for this, and I believe Quicktime Pro might do it. Google will turn up lots of stuff.

However, I would suggest not using MPEG-2 to begin with, because it requires specific players to view it, unless you're absolutely positive about your audience. Consider using MPEG-4 or Windows Media for a CD. If it's going on the web, for maximum compatibility I'd create a SWF (Flash). And if you really are interested in quality, you're much much better off using a dedicated compression program like Sorenson Squeeze instead of letting Premiere do it.

Yep, Overland Park, actually, so REALLY small world! ;)

The whole MPEG-2 thing is really meant for DVD, so if that's where it's ultimately going, you can leave the A/V files separate and mux them in your DVD app (or deliver them to the authorer that way). I haven't used Premiere since v5.1, but I assume its built-in export encoders (like nearly all editing apps) aren't that great. Even if you are doing MPEG-2, it might be worth using third-party encoding like BitVice, or hardware even, depending on how nice you need it to look. Or it might be fine the way it is.