Who is the right person to contact for opporunities on a production?

I'm trying to get myself work on larger, more experienced productions so that I can improve my capabilities as an AC but I'm uncertain about the most appropriate etiquette for contacting productions and individuals about these potential opportunities. Is it better to direct my enquiries at Clapper loaders, Focus Pullers or Line Producers?

There are obviously no set rules but suggestions or experiences of others are very much welcomed.

• Premium Member

Join the queue.

I made my feelings known about this sort of situation here, so please go and read that.

If you're still up for it I need a camera assistant for a few nights in January if you can stand hanging about a dripping concrete car park in Essex overnight for less than the union rate.

P

Guest Stephen Murphy
1351346865[/url]' post='378375']

I'm trying to get myself work on larger, more experienced productions so that I can improve my capabilities as an AC but I'm uncertain about the most appropriate etiquette for contacting productions and individuals about these potential opportunities. Is it better to direct my enquiries at Clapper loaders, Focus Pullers or Line Producers?

There are obviously no set rules but suggestions or experiences of others are very much welcomed.

All 3 but be sure to let them know you're a camera trainee rather then calling yourself an AC. A good way to meet assistants is to offer to come out and help them prep at Panavision or arri whenever they're doing a camera prep. That way they put a face to a name and you hopefully get to learn some new kit in the process.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. Phil, that sounds like a kind offer thank you - I'm currently waiting to hear about a project that might be going ahead in Jan which I've been trying to get on for a while, however if there it falls through I'll definitely get in touch on the slim chance you still need someone. Stephen, thanks for you're advice too, I've actually done work experience at Panavision ad it is a really great place to meet people, I make an excuse to go and visit at least once a month!