Ultra 16 in the UK

Is there anyone in the uk able to process and telecine Ultra 16?

Just wondered before I have a Bolex adapted...

Regards

Simon Knight

MediaHound Films

I think you'll find options for "industry standard" super-16 is severely limited in the Uk now, I suspect you'll be very lucky to find anywhere dedicated to serving the needs of Ultra-16.

...But on the bright side, there's so few labs processing 16mm in the Uk now it should only be the work of a few minutes to ring round them all to find out!

As I understand it: i-dailies and Technicolor do colour negative 16mm film processing, and I think I've heard comment that Film & Photo still do it as well. N.o.where lab will do B&W negative. I believe Deluxe Soho have an arrangement where Technicolor do 16mm processing for them as they've stopped it themselves. So I make that 3 phone calls B)

• Premium Member

The beauty of Ultra16 is that you can go ahead and modify your camera and just transfer the center standard 16mm area for now, then do the wider version if you need/want to later. The lens is not re-centered like in Super 16. Only issue is in processing, you just need to find a lab that won't scuff/scratch between the perfs. All depends on the processing equipment and how it grabs the stock. The other side, the Super 16 side, is generally not a problem these days. Probably just need to do a test with your favorite processor.

In the U.S. I believe AlphaCine in Seattle can handle the Ultra16 processing.