Practicing HD with no monitor

Andre Lim

I'm going to be shooting thesis projects on HD-900 and I would like to put in a lot of practice on the camera before I get on set. We can't checkout the HD monitors to play around with. Is there a way to get some good practice in, obviously the menus and settings would be the best place to start, but you can't really tell the difference on a b&w viewfinder. =(

I was wondering if I took my still camera took a picture with a slate w/ info like ASA, f/stop, shutter speed, etc. Then slated the HD camera with the preset settings, do a test shot, then slate the changes I make to the menus, then shoot again, watch it over on a monitor in school, would that be the best way to see the difference?

If that makes any sense to anyone and would know a better way to practice w/ a HD-900 w/o a monitor plz let me know =)

• Premium Member

You need a monitor, really... I'm not sure what you can learn about the image controls without seeing the results live as you adjust them.

Sure, you can shoot tests, keep notes, and THEN look at everything later on a big HD monitor, but that can be more complicated than simply playing with a paint box, let's say, and looking to see what happens on the monitor while you do it.

I'm going to be shooting thesis projects on HD-900 and I would like to put in a lot of practice on the camera before I get on set.  We can't checkout the HD monitors to play around with.  Is there a way to get some good practice in, obviously the menus and settings would be the best place to start, but you can't really tell the difference on a b&w viewfinder. =( 

I was wondering if I took my still camera took a picture with a slate w/ info like ASA, f/stop, shutter speed, etc.  Then slated the HD camera with the preset settings, do a test shot, then slate the changes I make to the menus, then shoot again, watch it over on a monitor in school, would that be the best way to see the difference? 

If that makes any sense to anyone and would know a better way to practice w/ a HD-900 w/o a monitor plz let me know =)

Perhaps a silly question, but are you saying they'll let you take out a $150,000+ camera but not a $10,000-$20,000 monitor? Talk to everone you can to try and get a monitor...at LEAST a small field HD monitor (CRT).

Perhaps a silly question, but are you saying they'll let you take out a $150,000+ camera but not a $10,000-$20,000 monitor? Talk to everone you can to try and get a monitor...at LEAST a small field HD monitor (CRT).

the camera is from the school so we get to use it for free