Diffusion filter to emulate Alexa on Scarlet or C300

M Joel W

A camera is Alexa. Shooting at 800 ISO. To prores.

B camera is either Scarlet or C300. Shooting at 800/850 ISO. External recorder capturing prores.

The cameras are meant to match and there is time for a grade but no time for a beauty pass to emulate the Alexa's built-in halation simulating filter. I want to put a filter on the B camera to emulate the halation filter on set. Two problems present themselves:

A filter in front of the lens should be stronger at 200mm than at 18mm. The on-chip filter should not. So I might need a set of varying strengths, and this is a pain constantly switching filters. Will I need varying strengths? How can I tell what strength at 18mm seems like a different strength at 85mm or at 200mm?

I dislike filters that have large enough particles that they are visible in the bokeh (for this purpose, at least). I want a very fine-patterened filter.

W

ould an ultracon set work? What strengths should I buy? Thank you all for your help. Please don't discuss camera systems except tips for matching between them; there's no ideology here, just what I anticipate will be available and fastest in post. Thanks.

Though, to be perfectly honest, I quite like the Alexa's halation filter and would be happy to emulate it.