5218 rocks

I just got my dailies (monthlies, hahaha) back and I am amazed. I shot a real run and gun scene at a social event, where I needed to get footage of people in real situations, unaware of my presence, so lighting was nill in many circumstances (save for one part). I grabbed every natural light I could find and put people under it, in one case with mixed sources.

I shot with Kodak 5218 and I pushed it 1 stop just to be super safe and give myself an extra stop's leeway with focus.

While I haven't printed it yet, what I can see on the video transfer is that this film pushes excellently and exhibits the lowest grain and best color in the shadows that I've ever seen from shooting at such an ASA. I really can't wait to get a print made. I don't even think I'd use the Vision 800 anymore, it's grainier at its natural ASA than 5218 pushed 1. I'm rarely so excited that I'd go out of my way to write this at 3 am, but I gotta take time to hand it to the guys with the test tubes at EKC - I'm very impressed. You guys really created a dynamite filmstock.

- G.

Guest Chainsaw
I don't even think I'd use the Vision 800 anymore, it's grainier at its natural ASA than 5218 pushed 1.

This raises a question that I know I can't be alone in wondering: are there any plans for Kodak to apply their two-electron sensitization technology toward any faster filmstocks? I may be covering old ground with this but why not a Vision2 800 speed stock? IMO it would not only open up a greater acceptance of that speed for theatrical applications but it would expand the 16mm use for it enormously. I could easily see The Shield driving that bandwagon.

Why not even Vision2 1,000 ASA or 1,280 ASA or 1,600 ASA? At the very least I'd think that the scientific and military community -if not the artistic- could benefit from this. I can't imagine that this isn't being seriously considered or implemented as I write this, so if there is any info flitting amongst the ether I'd personally like to be clued in.

Why not even Vision2 1,000 ASA or 1,280 ASA or 1,600 ASA?

Yeah, a Vision 1000 which pushes as well as the 5218 definitely has my vote (sort of like the old Ektachrome 800/1600P for still photography, a 400 asa film that was designed for pushing). I really think the 5289 should be retired in favor of something like that.

I know, there are many people out there who still shoot 100 asa stocks and that's fine, but I think that pushing the envelope of available light is very important. I love the flexibility it offers.

And btw, I can't imagine shooting what I did in available lighting conditions that day on video, the contrast would be murder, not to mention the electronic noise.

- G.