Has anyone used Spectra Film and Video?

Guest Ian Marks

Has anyone used Spectra Film and Video?

Here's a link:

http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com

Yes, I have used them for some telecine work using their new V3 gate. I was surprised to see some old faces from Pro8mm working there. In fact, they were the most knowledgeable and friendly that Pro8 had to offer, including their former head colorist who does great work.

Their suite also seemed to have more updated equipment at a lower hourly rate than Pro8 or Yale. The transfer came out quite well. I would definitely recommend them.

With all the ongoing super 8 complaints it is good to see some other guys out there having a go at it. :D

Guest Ray Lucas

I've also tried Spectra.

Overall they offer pretty good services at very affordable rates--Rank telecine, cameras, etc.--with no drop off or compromise in quality either.

Excellent customer service too. Very flexible. They're willing to work with you and not just take your money and then blow you off as I've experienced at other places.

I would recommend them.

Ray

• Premium Member

Wow, a split among the ranks at pro-8mm. (hehehehehehe, a pun)

Or is it a trojan horse, Pro 8mm masking itself as a kinder, gentler company?

This would be incredible timing (another pun, ooops) to get a K-40 lab in LA.

However, IF other negative film stocks are to eventually come out, this too is the time to get them out there so all THREE Super-8 labs in the San Fernado Valley will have more Super-8 work available to them for processing and transferring to video.

KODAK MUST FEED THESE LABS with MORE film stock choices, NOW!

I heard Spectra Film and Video will process Pro-8mm negative stock for FREE, IF you do the rank transfer with them, is that true?

But what a shame that Spectra must rely on possibly suspect quality control issues regarding the negative film stock that Pro-8mm loads into their carts. (allegedly, it's been rumored that Pro-8mm sometimes use recans, and discontinued stuff, old stuff, etc, not a wise move {if it's true,) for such a tiny film format which MUST have as clean as possible original negative stock to start off with because dust particles on Super-8 will appear 12 times bigger than on 35mm, and 4 times bigger than on 16mm.

COME ON KODAK, bring out the other negative film stocks in Super-8 BEFORE these companies go out of business from a market that can't grow because Kodak is lagging behind offering more Super-8 negative film stocks.

Guest Ian Marks

Pro8mm sells their negative stock with processing included, so presumably virtually all of their cartridges come back to them for processing.

I suppose that Spectra would process these cartridges if someone were to bring them in, but who is going to pay for processing twice? It's more likely that Spectra will be processing the Kodak-packaged stuff almost exclusively.

I can't help but notice that on Spectra's "film" page, they stress that they offer only factory fresh stock, properly refrigerated, not recanned. From what I gather from threads on this board and on filmshooting.com, these are three of the biggest issues people have with Pro8mm.

• Premium Member
I heard Spectra Film and Video will process Pro-8mm negative stock for FREE, IF you do the rank transfer with them, is that true? 

I suppose that Spectra would process these cartridges if someone were to bring them in, but who is going to pay for processing twice? 

If they were to process Pro-8mm's film stock for free, then no one is paying twice for processing.

• 3 weeks later...

I just used Spectra on a pilot that I shot early this April.

The rumors on this thread about the Pro8mm ex-pat's are true.

Doug and Jerry are masters of their craft- and treat you so well, you'll feel like your playing in the majors, even if you're transfering a couple of hundred feet.

They gave me a solid deal on a package that included 24 rolls of factory fresh Vision2, and telecine on a hopped-up digital Rank.

During the shoot, I shot polaroids from an old 195 Land Camera and sent them along with the exposed Vision, with hand-written instructions for the colorist to match the contrast as close as possible. Not only did the polaroid match the footage, but the quality of the image was nothing short of spectacular.

Did I mention that I shot it amorphically?- it has already fooled many a trained eye into thinking that I shot Super16. A really big upgrade in production value.

-KDC

Guest Ian Marks

KDC, that's good to hear! Since your footage represents some of the best of what can come off Super-8, maybe Spectra could keep a pristine digital copy (or burn a DVD) of it and keep it on hand for prospective clients to examine. I live 5 minutes away from them and would love to get a look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, you know flattery will get you everywhere.

I'm pretty proud of the footage myself, although I'm constantly (and painfully) trying to outdo my last shot. All things considered, Super 8 has really come a long, long way.

I'll try and post some up on my site (soon), but if you would like me to send you a couple of sample clips, let me know.

KDC, that's good to hear! Since your footage represents some of the best of what can come off Super-8, maybe Spectra could keep a pristine digital copy (or burn a DVD) of it and keep it on hand for prospective clients to examine. I live 5 minutes away from them and would love to get a look at it.

Edited by KDC

Guest Christopher Heston
Well, you know flattery will get you everywhere.

I'm pretty proud of the footage myself, although I'm constantly (and painfully) trying to outdo my last shot.  All things considered, Super 8 has really come a long, long way.

I'll try and post some up on my site (soon), but if you would like me to send you a couple of sample clips, let me know.

Please, I am planning on transfering about 6 rolls of super 8 to video, could you please send me some sample clips. NoilleberProductions@dr.com

• 1 month later...

Folks-

After spending some time in post, I've finally got a rough cut example of uncorrected 7218 and 7217 transferred at Spectra on their hopped-up digital rank.

The clip is available on the web at the link here:

http://www.desktopstudios.com/cine/index.htm

Follow the links down to the topmost project, and you can download(if you're a broadband user), a 65mb Windows Media9 file. I am working on a quicktime version at the moment, but I can't seem to get an acceptable file size without obliterating the blacks. When I figure it out, I will let you know.

Here are a few important notes:

1) What you will view is an opening sequence to a project intercut with the following: 24p digital, S8 color reversal and S8 color negative. Some of you will be able to tell straight away- but just to make it easier:

1a) All of the "traffic" scenes were shot on reversal, handheld at 4ps. It was then processed and transferred at 24fps.

1b) The Vision 2 stock was used in the "coatcheck" scene, which is preceeded by the "lounge sequence". As a matter of fact, you can tell straight away because-

1c) The camera noise makes it completely obvious. The dialouge audio is very, very rough.

1d) You may notice some artifacting during compex frames (i.e. smoke). Tthe compression artifacts were created during the re-compression of the original Avid file for the web. They certainly do not exist in the original masters, which look great.

2) the gamma/contrast ratios in the windows media file were calibrated on a PVM series Sony monitor. In other words, I have no idea what it's going to look like on your computer. I can only tell you that the Vision2 scene was shot for the shadows.

All in all, I beleive it to be a good back to back comparison from 24p DV (Panny DVX100a) against the reversal and new negaitiive film stocks. I'm also going to really put myself out there and request some feedback for all those who are curious enough to take the time to download the file.

Regards,

-Keith

Please, I am planning on transfering about 6 rolls of super 8 to video, could you please send me some sample clips.  NoilleberProductions@dr.com

Edited by KDC

Guest filmo

Photography looks great.

some questions:

What kind of camera; lens set up for those super 8 shots? You mention the 24p camera, but I didn't see what kind of super 8 rig you used.

How about the lighting setups?

It appears you intercut 24p and super 8 within the same scene. Is that right?

Very nice, but how do you plan on eliminating camera noise?

One thing I've noticed--when super 8 is used for medium shots and close-ups, it holds up very well next to 16 or digital.

It's the long shots and panoramas where super 8 starts falling apart.

I have no comment on the dialog or the story idea.

I think it looks good. Professionally shot at the least which is what the clip is meant to show. i think it holds up well to the 24 P. I didnt like the ektachrome that much(similar to taxi driver openning) , a bit dull for my likings but the vision was nice. What is your anamorphic setup on the super 8 cam and what kind of camera is it. Im about to start a doc and i was going to go with a miini DV cam and vision2 but after seeing this im def leaning towards the dvx100. How much super 8 did you shoot and what were the prices with spectra, deals with them etc. What did you transfer to?

Photography looks great.

some questions:

What kind of camera; lens set up for those super 8 shots? You mention the 24p camera, but I didn't see what kind of super 8 rig you used.

KDC >>> Beaulieu 7008 from Pro8mm, with CA Vision mattebox and rails custom fit by CC (in NYC) to hold a Panasonic anamorphic lens. Angeneiux glass, 8-64 zoom. 

How about the lighting setups?

KDC>>> Lit mostly from above using a combination of Lowel &  Arri practicals on dimmers.  Shot mostly in ungelled, tungsten light with the exception of the "Miles" CU (the guy smoking a cigarette), Where I used a household practical (one of those hardware store scoop lights) with a 75 par16 plus 1/2 CTB. 

It appears you intercut 24p and super 8 within the same scene. Is that right?

KDC>>> The closet scene is intercut with 7218 (exteriors) and 7217 (interiors). Joe at Spectra really came through on the 500 exterior shots. The producer/director  forgot to pick up the lighting rig that I had rented.

Sigh.

Very nice, but how do you plan on eliminating camera noise?

KDC>>> Joe, the sound engineer on the project is amazing.

One thing I've noticed--when super 8 is used for medium shots and close-ups, it holds up very well next to 16 or digital.

KDC>>> I totally agree.

Guest Ray Lucas
what were the prices with spectra, deals with them etc.

Stredge,

Go to http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com. Click the Film tab and scroll down to "Super 8 Discount Packages" section and you'll find some pretty good deals.

For instance, you get rawstock, processing, telecine and masters all for one discounted rate. I bought the "24 Pack" in Vision2 200T and had it all transfered to Mini dv and it looked amazing!

Their colorist added some cool special effects for me too by using some filters in the rank gate. ANd their film processing came out nice and clean. Highly recommended.

Ray Lucas

How much super 8 did you shoot and what were the prices with spectra, deals with them etc.  What did you transfer to?

For the opening street sequences, I shot 30 minutes worth of Ektachrome/reversal, and used an extremely cheap system to transfer to DVCAM, an old Elmo projection box with a plastic ground glass. I knew from shooting handheld at 4fps that the image would be all over the place, so I decided that "dirtying" up the image even more may give it a little edge.

Name deal with OCN, in terms of length. Of course the neg was done on a digital rank with the V3 gate (at the moment, I forget what the advangages were with regards to the gate). In terms of a deal with Spectra, the production team realized that their initial quote was very agressive to start with, and their level of service made the deal impossible to match.

Transfer was done direct to DVCAM, and then unsqueezed in Avid Pro.