Nizo service, UK?

Simon Lucas

Hi,

just returned to film-making after a long time.

I've started running film tests with my Nizo (bought 10 years ago) recently and have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the image may not be sharp. In all other aspects the camera seems to be running smoothly.

a. The lens appears to be OK - glass clear, no dents and the focus ring turns smoothly. What other reasons could there be for a soft image? Cartridge alignment? Are there any checks I can do myself to help analyse the problem?

b Is there anywhere I can get a Nizo serviced in the UK (or anywhere else)?

Thanks for any ideas.

NB. I have scanned the film on an epson flatbed to check the image quality up close. (I put a strip in the 35mm film-scanner holder to get the right distance from the scanner glass for focus).

I've been recently informed that Michael Bigaj of http://super8arena.com and Gottfried Klose of http://www.gkfilm.de/en/ both still do Nizo repairs and servicing.

Though I'm told it's best to go through Frank Bruinsma of http://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm when dealing with Gottfried, only as his English isn't always that great. I don't speak German myself; so that's far from a complaint. :)

As for Nizo repairs in the UK, I'm sorry to say I've not heard any feedback for Sendean whatsoever.

What Nizo are you using?

Bill. Thank-your input - in a way I'd rather approach someone who does Nizo/super8 specifically so your suggestions are good. I know of Frank as we have just sent a roll to him for processing. But I'll think about Gottfried Klose as I have a good German friend who I know would help.

But immediately I'm attracted by Sendean as I can even take the camera direct to Clerkenwell on the way to work. I read one good feedbacl of them and at least they have a picture of a Nizo on their site (i know it's only decoration but I'm a sucker for that kind of totally transparent psychological device). I will call them and discuss it first before I think about Germany.

Maybe I need to see the full roll of Kodak 100D come back from Frank so I can evaluate the focus further. My tests have all been running small lengths of Tri-X and Pan-X Reverso through a Wittner refillable cartridge and I don't really know whether that could be causing the problem.

I have a Nizo Professional. I now see that they cost a small fortune to buy so it is worth getting it serviced at least.

Nizo Professionals are really great Super 8 cameras but right now they are actually commanding far less than they did two or three years ago.

You can honestly pick up a good working example for as little as £100 to £200 now.

Equally, the likes of Nizo 6080s, Nikon R10s and Canon 1014 XL-Ss are all £150 to £250; when they all used to command £500+ on eBay.

So when going for servicing or repairs it's good to bear this in mind, as the prices on such models is going down; particularly on www.ebay.de . :rolleyes:

Nizo Professionals are really great Super 8 cameras but right now they are actually commanding far less than they did two or three years ago.

You can honestly pick up a good working example for as little as £100 to £200 now.

Equally, the likes of Nizo 6080s, Nikon R10s and Canon 1014 XL-Ss are all £150 to £250; when they all used to command £500+ on eBay.

Bill, thanks for the tip. I had noticed some prices on a super8 site that showed £500 for cameras (all marked sold) so I guess they were quite old prices. I looked last night and saw some Canon 814 Electronic at £ 30-90. I think one of those might be a good second camera to have even if I do get the Nizo repaired/serviced.

Or is it worth throwing in the towel and investing in a Leicina special? Not sure I can really justify the outlay at the moment, when the 814s are probably nearly as good in practical terms.

Leicina Specials are well worth the extra expense (though that's 'only' £400 to £600 these days). However, I see Canon 814s going for relative peanuts and all 814s seem to have sharper lenses than their 1014 big brothers; same scenario with the Nikon R8 over the R10 too.

I would personally aim to use spare funds on more stock and processing right now. There are loads of great Super 8 cameras going cheaply.