Gordon Willis interview!

Shannon

Ah, the Prince of Darkness! Willis' work on The Godfather is truly inspirational. Him, Conrad Hall, Mario Bava, Haskell Wexler and my personal favorite Vittorio Storaro, these guys were men of TRUE genius. After having seen almost every movie he's made (I'm still waiting to see "The Smell of Success"), I actually feel the same way about David Mullen for his generation. To have men of such great artistry working with one, must be the ultimate honor.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

To quote: "Of his decision to retire, Willis said: "I got tired of trying to get actors out of trailers, and standing in the rain". My personal guess is he was 66 years old in 1997, had a butt load of money after working his entire life and just wanted to enjoy the rest of his life without the pressure of the film industry. I know we're suppose to keep innovating and securing our legend but sometimes the human need to enjoy one's life is far more important, besides, what else was there left for him to have to prove. He changed cinematic history, let him enjoy what's left of his life, he earned at least that and far more.

Yes indeed,I agree 100% that he changed all most everything(among a few others) I mean black eyes Marlon Brando?? Omg you have to be legend or ET to perform something like that...

On the other hand 16 years without a movie is a very long time and cinematography sometimes isn't just a job or paycheck..except Hollywood there is Europe film industry....anyway I am sure that everybody want the heavyweight champion of the light world come back once in a while.