In Post: Interesting Flashback

Keela Candler

My short film was shot with video. The present day shots will be in black and white(don't ask why, that's how I want it). There are three flashbacks and at the moment, I have them in color. What I want to do is create an interesting look, like perhaps washing it out or heavy saturation. I want it to really stand out as it goes back to a better time in the lead's life. Any HELPFUL suggestions are welcome. I am editing with Final Cut Express, if this helps.

There are lots of treatments you could do. The best effects for flashbacks in my opinion emulate memory by removing details in some way. Give the edge of the frame a soft white vignette with a mask. Crank the levels and the contrast. Tint it (with or without taking it to B&W first). Use time-based effects to simulate a slow shutter or lower frame rate. Time remap. Use animated masks to blur everything but the subject. Or any combination of these things; just experiment and see what you like, then be consistent with each flashback sequence.

I just reread your post and it said this was supposed to be a "better" time. With that in mind, I'd probably keep it in color, duplicate the layer on top of itself, blur one layer a little and experiment with changing the Composite Mode (gives you a diffused look) and opacity. You could also offset one of those layers by several frames in time for a trippy look. Try desaturating everything but the reds (or other color) with the Color Correct filter's Limit feature by eyedroppering a skin tone and inverting it with the Saturation pulled back maybe halfway (you'll probably have to widen the initial selection). A subtle recurring music theme will do wonders too.