eumig nautica with wittnerchrome v50d?

steve horner

Hello all,

long time bludger of info (guest) - first time poster, and still looking to bludge some info.

Having recently aquired my nautica and given it the once over, it is time to film. Locally I have sourced the wittner V50D stock and have been told the Agfa 200D will be available soon. Will any special adjustments be needed to get a usable scene using the V50D or will it be read as ISO 40 with the backlight switch on and be exposed as such?

I mostly film in bright outdoor surfing scenes and cannot wait to get in the water with the wide lens on.

p.s. When the 200D becomes available will I be able to utilise this (nautica has 25/40 & 100/160 - T/D with a backlight switch) as the higher speed would be more compatible with the higher speed action of surfing? I would imagine with the backlight switch on.... just speculating.

Henry you are a good man. I was wondering if I would get a response as the topic is fairly particular.

Now just to confuse things a bit, of course with filming surfing, the scenes vary between above and below

the surface of the water - will this be a problem with exposure?

I am guessing to just make the settings as above and take the good with the bad.

p.s. I have been hunting tips everywhere and have found the definitive answer on the physical setting of the

camera in PMA mode with the wide lens attached for underwater filming. Whoa - lucky I found that. A trap

for young players there or focus would be completely stuffed.

Edited by steve horner

Hello Steve,

I always use the automatic exposure control of the Nautica. When shooting underwater I sometimes move the camera out of the water ( very interesting effect ), these shootings are OK. I always use the camera in PMA mode. The shots above water should not be against the light, otherwise the images will be too dark

Kind regards

Henry

Ah Henry, I appreciate your help mate. If I could pick your brain a bit more...

Of course when filming the surfing, most of the scenes are of the surfers above the water on the waves. The extra interest is when they pass over you

and filming continues so you are momentarily in that spot half above and below water. This is, as you mentioned a great perspective as the viewer can

see the best of both worlds simultaneously. The other moment can be as the surfer passes overhead or is moving away on the wave when you are filming

subsurface until the wave completely passes.

Now, being mostly above water and using the PMA lens/setting would I be better off -

1. still having the cartridge compartment filter switch at 'lamp' to get the closest camera exposure of 40T for the V50D film rate

and

2. set the outside the selector to 'on' instead of '+' so as to expose well for the above water conditions and okay for the subsurface

moments of the scenes? (or leave it at '+' as you have mentioned for all round okay-ness)

I will always film with the PMA lens/mode for sharp allround focus and for the great 'up close' feel.

Thanks again mate for your replies - I really appreciate your help - Steve.

Hello Steve,

I always leave the switch at +1 in the water and above the water. Before I was planing to use the Nautica with the Velvia 50 on vacation on the island of Rhodes (Greece), I made test shots at home in the garden. The images were best at + 1, otherwise underexposed.
Do not forget to close the eyepiece with the rubber at the eyecup when underwater shooting. Shure you will have turned the lever near the lens to PMA

If I shoot underwater , I always have to look for air bubbles between the objective lens and PMA.Sometimes I have not noticed that . The air bubbles were clearly visible in the projection of the film

Kind regards

Henry

Henry,

I cannot thank you enough for all your great help as these notes will help to ease precious film stock wastage

and moments of lost viewing pleasure to poor technique. I really appreciate your replies mate.

Any other snippets of information would be greatly appreciated as even though I see this camera should be

relatively easy to get a decent scene from, it also has its quirks being a specialty piece of equipment.

Thank you.