Which KODAK material in 70mm??

Guest Herbert Born

Guest Herbert Born

Help please ....

I am currently checking an old 70mm print from the archive.

Its a russian movie printed on ORWO stock and printed in russia according to the leaders which are in kyrillic. The movie is from 1969 and as usual with ORWO material it's not faded. When carefully examine the print I could notice, that KODAK 70mm material was used either negative or intermediate, because there are KODAK codes on the negative/intermediate material. There is the date code from 1969 (++) and the numbers 5 3 0 4 3. These same numbers appear through the whole reel, they are not footnumbers. Very strange, that at a time, when there was a iron wall between east and west, KODAK material was used to produce/postproduce/print a russian large format movie. :ph34r:

Any idea what KODAK material could be used according to above information

:huh:

Edited by Herbert Born

• Premium Member

Most likely it was EASTMAN Color Intermediate Film, 5253, which was processed in the old ECN process. I believe 65mm ECI did have edgeprint, so it may have been 5253, emulsion batch -043. Today KEYKODE is printed along the edge of intermediate film.

Kodak films were often preferred for feature production in countries like the USSR, China, and India, which are all have a rich history of filmmaking artistry. Kodak even holds a large share of the market in Japan and throughout Asia:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/campaign/screenings/

Guest Herbert Born
Most likely it was EASTMAN Color Intermediate Film, 5253, which was processed in the old ECN process.  I believe 65mm ECI did have edgeprint, so it may have been 5253, emulsion batch -043.  Today KEYKODE is printed along the edge of intermediate film.

Thanks very much ... but it must have been 70mm ECI because the numbers are cleary at the edge of the 70mm print. I know how it looks when 65mm ECI is used. According to the code, the material is produced in France. Is it possible that they produced it for russia in 70mm gauge, as the russians and most probably their labs were using 70mm only instead the combination 65mm/70mm used in the west?