Pre-movie trailer full lighting assistance

Hi

I'm an independent movie producer/Actor from Wales, UK who is currently arranging the shooting of a pre-movie trailer, designed to attract funding for a large-scale feature in the Summer.

Because we want the trailer to emulate a real movie, we've opted for Kodak color (Not sure what type of stock) 35mm Spherical Cinematography on Panaflex cameras and lenses - with final procesing occurring at Technicolor. We've got a budget of around £60,000 (Something like $100,000) for the 15 minute trailer shot entirely on location in Snowdonia National Park, Wales (Apart from the bits that are faux-Los Angeles, which we'll be shooting in a studio)

Basically, I would like some tips, as a producer rather than Actor, on how to create a "beautiful" look on the locations, and an almost edgy, dim look in some of the gloomier scenes. There is a particular technique I'd like to use, but I can't be sure of the name of it. It involves the lighting of the actor's face, causing sharp shadows - it gives a ghostly image. (I think the light source is placed directly above the subject, pointing down, or below, pointing upwards) If you know what I mean, could you gimme a tip on how it's done?

There is also and important sunset scene, I would like to utilize a golden, hazy summer look as the characters walk in slowmotion through the field.

Any help for a complete amateur would be much appreciated!

Hire a DP as soon as you can so you all can discuss "the look" in detail with him. I really don't think it's possible, neither beneficial to answer general questions without knowing a lot more about the production. And I don't think any DP is going to like producers telling him how to light.