Mad Men Switch to HD?

Hey thanks Matthew.

Anybody know what Chris Manley means by "a little more creativity" as relates to the subject? For the life of me I cannot get the full interview link to work. Maybe I have to join and sign in...that ain't happening - too many passwords already.

Anyway I have honestly *never* heard any DP allude to HD allowing for more creativity. CGI?

Mitch

• Premium Member

I would guess that he probably can shoot more footage which allows him to try things he might not normally try.

However, I think HD backlit wide shots, especially when the actors have dark hair, looks lame most of the time, especially when viewed on a real TV set, a CRT.

HD gets a huge boost from the additional brightness pumped into HD sets.

Since I haven't gotten an HD set yet, maybe that is why MAD MEN has, in my wife's words, been looking a lot more like Season 2 of THE KILLING ... which is kinda killing it for us (we really really liked all of THE KILLING, but MM is a whole other level.)

I would guess that he probably can shoot more footage which allows him to try things he might not normally try.

However, I think HD backlit wide shots, especially when the actors have dark hair, looks lame most of the time, especially when viewed on a real TV set, a CRT.

HD gets a huge boost from the additional brightness pumped into HD sets.

More footage....that's why Citizen Kane was such crapola - they weren't able to shoot More Footage. Also the actors coulda used Longer Takes probably.

Just kidding Alessandro you are likely right. But then, is he allowed to shoot more footage right up to the same $$ they were spending on film stock? If so they switched for artistic reasons and not to save money. Now that would be interesting.

For me HD fails in outdoor scenes a lot, certain extreme lighting situations indoors sometimes....but then I'm only really happy watching stuff from the 70's....shot in the US....on Eastman.

Mitch