Picking the right film stock.

Sam Care

Hi,

I am currently deciding which film stock to shoot my graduation film with. I want a subtle desaturation and increase in contrast of the images as the film progresses and the main character loses his mind. I intend to achieve this desaturation in the grade. However I am trying to get as close to the look as possible in terms of colour and contrast on the neg.

The majority of the film will be shot at exterior daytime locations. I need a film stock which will allow me to shoot sunrises, bright sunlight, cloudy diffused light, smoky conditions, high contrast light in a dense forest, dusk and even possibly magic hour. I also have some interior day scenes to shoot which may have mixed lighting.

I am considering many stocks. The 7245, 7246, 7205 in terms of daylight stocks. The 7217 (with 85 filter) which I am using for some night interior scenes, so I would consider shooting the whole film on this for practicality. And finally I have two rolls of 7246 which has been discontinued here in the UK. I would consider using this for some scenes if it feels like the right stock.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer me.

Thank you.

Sam Care

• Premium Member
Hi,

I am currently deciding which film stock to shoot my graduation film with. I want a subtle desaturation and increase in contrast of the images as the film progresses and the main character loses his mind. I intend to achieve this desaturation in the grade. However I am trying to get as close to the look as possible in terms of colour and contrast on the neg.

Thank you.

Sam Care

You may want to consider bleach bypass processing of the negative for scenes where you want both desaturation and higher contrast. Certainly, for lower contrast and more muted colors, consider a film like Kodak VISION2 Expression 500T Color Negative Film 7229, or perhaps 7277. The 7205 is just a tad less contrast and saturation than the 7246, but has a marvelously linear tone scale. B)