Shooting 30 & 11 year old expired S8 rolls

I believe film rescue international will do it color... probably plastburg photographic as well.

Go for a 1 to 2 stop over exposure assuming it's been sitting at room temperature for 30 years. Probably 1 over for the 11 year-old.

That's my advice.

I think there is no exposure compensation you can do for out of date colour reversal film. The film is likely to be badly fogged. With reversal, badly fogged means the film will be produce images that are very light (heading towards completely clear with no image at all). Over exposing won't help that. In fact, there is nothing you can do. Yes, perhaps if it was negative film, under rating the film (ie over exposing) is a good idea. But with reversal, no.

richard

Here's a good example of old reversal...

Justin is the man when it comes to experimenting with film. :) I believe he said he shot this at a half stop over and was thinking about going to a full stop over on the next roll. He's got a box of this stuff.

Justin sure gets some remarkable results with old film. I would suggest the processed film looks very different from that transfer. I suspect there would be no blacks at all on the film itself. Certainly I think it is extremely unlikely you would get anything aproximating this. A fair amount of old super 8 comes our way. You aren't likely to get anything that looks like this I am afraid. Well, that said, the 11 year old stock - VNF I presume - might still have a little contrast left.