Sound for "The Killing"

Gregg MacPherson

Leaving aside for now my reaction against morbidity on television......

The Killing is such an interesting watch. The sound is in perfect sympathy with the visual style. There's a sort of throaty compressed quality, almost no music, lots of abstract aural tones to directly convey emotions. The sound feels sort of grungy, but normally is easy to "read" against a sparse background.

There is something very seductive about Holder's street slang mumblings, often barely understandable, very expressive. This is partly the content, the writing, the character, the photography helping to create how that feels. But it's also, obviously the sound rec and mix.

Does anyone know anything about how they are recording or mixing sound for this show?

• 1 month later...

I can't really explain why but Det. Holder (streetwise ex meth head) is such a cool listen on this show. Not just the sound quality, but the writing/delivery also. I tried to transcribe this from the last episode.

Det Holder:

Soowhaaatup wid yooand d bossman...?

Det Linden:

(said something)

Det Holder:

Aah c'moon Linden...I dun gotta be ma sleuth par excellence ta see that the cat's got the hand in the jella jar...An it ain the firstime neitha

• 4 weeks later...

Tried reaching the sound guys through the show and through AMPAS, but got no responses, so no story. But I'm going to do a short feature on the cinematography of THE BRIDGE and just finished a couple good-sized pieces on GRAVITY, which is going to be awesome in all sorts of ways, including NO SOUND IN SPACE! (unless it is transmitted by vibration, like if the astronaut holds a drill tool.)

I bumped into The Bridge on the internet so have been following that. It has some interesting characters and better than normal confidence in being able to observe them. Favourite is the almost retired old cheif detective.

Also have seen Low Winter Sun. Very cool looking and a great show for the actors but spoiled by the poor american accents by the UK born leads.

In all though, TV feels a bit un-brainy and morbid. And now that Walt has clearly become a very bad and ruthless guy I don't enjoy Breaking Bad anymore. Also, if you've seen the last episode, the cinematography is breaking bad.