Panavision HD assist

Guest Stephen Murphy

I haven't used it but they do have a HD video tap that they've recently started testing on a few jobs. From what I understand the downside is the light being transmitted to the viewfinder suffers horribly with the split being 80/20 in favour of the tap. The arri hd tap has its own issues. I'd avoid both if I were you.

Guest Stephen Murphy

A video assist is only used as a guide to show the director what's in the frame. It's not used for judging focus or lighting or exposure. A traditional 35mm video assist will give you all the framing information you need, the dp will know its exposed correctly through using his meter and experience and a good focus puller will be confident of focus. You can't trust video assists for anything other then as a guide for framing. It's worth mentioning, although I'm sure you're already aware of this, that video assist didn't become common on film sets until the mid 80's so most of the films someone my age (mid 30's) would hold in high regard were made without any video assist on set. It's still a relatively recent development and I still view it as a luxury:-)

Even today the likes of Nolan/Eastwood/Spielberg prefer to judge a frame through the lens and then monitor a take on small handheld monitors trusting their dp/operators with the frame. It allows them to be closer to the actors both for communication and evaluation of performances, and closer to the camera crew.

With the HD taps on the XL2s you can do a 80/20 or a 70/30 split. They have had mixed reviews from productions but they are getting much better just within the last pilot season. Arri's HD taps have better ground glass cancelling but with the Panavision one you can use their OLED viewfinder which you can bump up the gain in dark situations.