Question about Super 8 and a Nemo C-200

shane siegfried

Howdy! New to these forums...

So, i found an old Nemo C-200 Super 8 camera at an antique store for $60 and it looks like its in great condition. (even says so on the little tag)

It comes with a bag, a box of Super 8 film, the battery holder...

I had some questions though before purchasing it.

1.) Do they even make Super 8 film anymore?

2.) Does this particular camera also record sound or just video?

3.) Is it a difficult task to get whatever was filmed on Super 8 transferred to a Mac for editing?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

-Shane

Is this the camera you're talking about?

http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_elmo/elmo_c_200.htm

Personally, I would not buy that camera.
It is kind of interesting but I think you should buy a newer model camera that only requires 1 type of battery.
The film that come with that camera is probably old kodachrome that cannot be developed anymore.

1.) Do they even make Super 8 film anymore? Yes.

2.) Does this particular camera also record sound or just video? It is a silent camera and sound film is no longer being made.

3.) Is it a difficult task to get whatever was filmed on Super 8 transferred to a Mac for editing. No. Ther are several companies that can help you with that .

Google Spectra Film and Video and Pro 8mm.

Perhaps one of the posters in this group can suggest a good starter camera.

I'd say look at a newer model Yashica, Elmo, Minolta or Canon brand Super 8 camera. Something from the late 1970's or early 1980's. Go to ebay and search for those brands of Super 8 cameras.

Then go to this site and research the camera your interested in: http://www.super8data.com/

Yeah, thats the camera.

If you say it sucks, then i wont buy it. I just figured it was a good deal at $60.

I have no experience with Super 8 camera's or Super 8 film, so im new to this. I usually film on a Canon or a Sony and firewire that to my Mac for editing.

But if anyone DOES have a suggestion on a starter Super 8 camera, im all ears!

I love the old look of actual film, even though i like digital as well. Im a man of both generations!! Im lucky i grew up with movies/tv shot on actual film and then as i got older saw everything move to digital.

But like i said, i do love the look and "feel" of old film...especially on reel-to-reel's.

Thanks again!

-Shane

You can usually pick up a Canon 814 Auto Zoom on ebay for $80-120. That's the route I would go. They have good optics, are built like tanks and even when they aren't working right, still work. LOL. If you get into the more expensive 814 XL-S and 1014 XL-S cameras, they are possibly the best Super 8 cameras but when the stop working or have an issue, they just stop functioning.

There are lots of other good options for the $100 range. You'll see some Nizzos go for that.

Stay away from any of the cheap Kodak cameras from the 70s. They have terrible optics and generally can only read Type A (40 ASA) or Type G (160 ASA) film, neither of which is made anymore.

Super 8 Data has the best specs on Canons:

http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_canon/cameras_canon.htm

If you are doing negative film with telecine/scan transfers, remember that you will want:

1.) Something that can auto expose at least up to 250 AND down to 40.

2.) Something that can shoot at 24 FPS

3.) Stay away from the 300 and 500 series canons... they are just not up-to-snuff

4.) Beaulieus are probably the best cameras, but can be a hassle to work with if you are not already good with photography/cinematography.

Lots of other opinions are already posted on these forums. Read through.

Howdy! New to these forums...

So, i found an old Nemo C-200 Super 8 camera at an antique store for $60 and it looks like its in great condition. (even says so on the little tag)

It comes with a bag, a box of Super 8 film, the battery holder...

I had some questions though before purchasing it.

1.) Do they even make Super 8 film anymore?

2.) Does this particular camera also record sound or just video?

3.) Is it a difficult task to get whatever was filmed on Super 8 transferred to a Mac for editing?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

-Shane

Video? It is real film :)

The C200 has changeable backs. At least here must be one with it :)

It needs a rare battery for the lightmeter.

I have a C300 and use it with a stack of LR-44 batteries in tube. Just works nice.

I use it solely with the large DS-8 magazine. That gives plenty length for reportage like filming. Although a bit costly.

Otherwise the camera is limited in its controls. It is just straight shooting.

And its reverse on DS-8 is unlimited.

Unfortunately the choice of stock in DS-8 is very limited.