THX 1138

There's a scene in George Lucas' THX 1138 with Robert Duvall where three characters are wandering through a vast white room. They then come across a dark spot in the middle of it. My question is how they would light something like that. It almost seems like you would need a "negative light" for that effect which is something that exists in 3D animation, but not real life (at least I think). Also, does anyone know if the new "Director's Cut" version has added 3D effects and compositing like Lucas did with the old Star Wars films for re-release? If not, than I have no idea how some of the shots in that film where realized using 1970's technology.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Toni Halonen
Also, does anyone know if the new "Director's Cut" version has added 3D effects and compositing like Lucas did with the old Star Wars films for re-release?  If not, than I have no idea how some of the shots in that film where realized using 1970's technology.

Yes he ruined the movie in the same way he ruined orginal star wars films. It's shame that Lucas turned to become this computer effect freak. Everything he has done with those has been total crap and the scenes that he has added to his old films have lowered much of those orginal charm. Oh well. Lets see how he have managed in the newest episode. It sure sounds intresting.

Back when I last saw the origianl version of THX years ago, I remember understanding the basic point of what was going on, but I felt foggy on the details of how we got there.

Last year I saw Lucas at USC where he screened the new cut. He explained that the technology didn?t exist in 1970 to do what he had in his imagination. That is why scenes in the original are vague and hard to understand.

So the solution he used was photorealistic animation to fill in the gaps of what he wasn?t able to do at the time. Which normally I would totally object. But in this case I think this new THX was the film Lucas wanted to create all along but was unable to when he first made it. The difference is so striking and so clear that I think this was fine.

The animated additions to the original Star Wars films were bad because they did not seamlessly fit into the story we already know. They felt like additions. While the CGI additions to THX for me were completely seamless and added much more clarity to the story.

I will also admit that I think CGI is hitting the point of over use.

I agree that the CGI was pretty seamless in the new THX. Was the scene with the robot arm grabbing the plutonium rod added? Or was that part of the original? Lucas should have included the original film with this DVD set, as per what Kevin Smith did when he released Clerks on DVD (including both the theatrical version, and an extended "Director's Cut"). I'm a big fan of well done CGI, especially in movies like Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow and Sin City. If it adds to the overall tone of the scene, I'm all for it.