getting rid of crop factor

• Premium Member

DSLR's come in APS-C and FF35 formats, so I assume you mean the crop factor of an APS-C DSLR?

The primary reason people don't like this crop factor business is that they are arbitrarily hung up on numbers. What difference does it make, honestly, in terms of field of view if you use a 35mm lens on an APS-C camera / Super-35 when you'd use a 50mm lens on a FF35 camera? Are people so hung up on the number 50 that they can't stand using the number 35? When I shoot 35mm movie film, I don't wish I had some sort of device that made the focal lengths behave like they were on a VistaVision camera.

I honestly don't understand this consternation over crop factors unless this is a financial issue of already owning a certain set of focal lengths. Otherwise, you just use the focal length that gets you the field of view you want for the format you are shooting. You like the view of a 50mm lens on a FF35 camera, use a 35mm lens on an APS-C camera. Otherwise you're asking for a device that turns a 50mm lens into a 35mm lens when you put it onto an APS-C camera, which doesn't make much sense unless you don't own a 35mm lens (essentially the adaptor would be a wide-angle attachment, so you'd rather screw on a 1.5X wide-angle attachment to a 50mm lens rather than use a 35mm lens?)

Also, as someone who comes out of 35mm cinematography, I have never felt the need to relate everything to the field of view that focal lengths give me an a full-frame 35mm still camera.