AFM 2013!!

James Steven Beverly

Hey, who's headed out to AFM this year?! I'm feeling confident and excited this year. You know what the say, " Third time's the charm!" In the meantime, I'm not sitting on may fat-asset laurels, we have a meeting to to discuss financing Thrill Kill scheduled for next week and several people are looking for money! It could always all come to naught, BUT right now it's makin' me feel good! I'd love to put some faces to the names so if you are gonna stop by (AND you don't need a pass to hang out in the lobby and meet people from Nov. 6 - Nov. 13 at the Lowes Santa Monica Hotel on Ocean Blvd. so what do you got to loose?!) let me know and we'll say hello!

Well here we are one year later from the 2012 show, was I correct in my prediction that none of the contacts made produced any actual money in the bank to make a movie?

Of course you know I am not putting you down :rolleyes:

Just re-iterating that very few people attending AFM actually have money to put into films, and they rarely ever do. And 90% of the distributors attending are not considered to be bankable by the banks, so a pre-sale contract isn't much good either.

I will be at AFM this year. Mainly I'll be in LA for meetings. But I'll swing by AFM as I have two films on sale there.

Most buyers however are quite terrified if they know the director is in the room. They want the freedom to tell the sales agent the movie is a piece of crap, and none of them would want to say this with the director present in the room! :D

R,

LOL!! That ALONE makes coming to AFM this year an imperative, my friend! In all the time I've come to AFM, I've never attended a screening but IF any of your films are screened, I WILL take the time to go watch them. As for funding, I do have people looking, they all seem realistically positive, so we'll see what happens. They say it normally takes 2 to 3 years to find the money so when it comes through, I should be right on schedule. Worst case scenario, I shoot that script I pitched you a year or two ago, "thrill Kill" as a no-budget :"shot on video" feature and see if I can sell that. I also have a new script I just finished a few weeks ago called "Dollie" that can be done low budget to untra-low budget if need be and shot virtually anywhere so there is that. At this point, it's much more a question of "when" than "if". But all that is irrelevant. Just getting to meet face to face with the great and fabled Richard Boddington is worth the ticket price! I truly am looking forward to meeting you, sir! If the venerable David Mullen shows up, it'll be a TOTAL slam dunk!!

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Just getting to meet face to face with the great and fabled Richard Boddington is worth the ticket price! I truly am looking forward to meeting you, sir!

Er um yeah, I guess I recall agreeing to a meeting in my post. Somewhere? :huh:

R,

WHAT!! Now you don't want to meet with me? I'm crushed, Richie! Listen. Scorsese, by meet (NOT a "meeting") I meant say "HELLO" in the lobby should you HAPPEN to GRACE me with your presence at some point during the market because I THOUGHT it might be fun to talk to you in person instead of online.The main reason I'm headed to AFM this year (other than I enjoy it) is I'm gonna try and nail things down with other people I have working on this, so relax, you're safe. :rolleyes:

Not really a whole lot of producers on this forum James. AFM isn't really of interest to the camera and grip department. And it's not necessary for any of them to attend in order to advance their careers. Many producers skip it as well. The primary participants are sales agents and buyers.

I will tell you this, Against The Wild, will be making a splash there. You will see the promo the instant you walk in. ;)

R,

COOL! It looks like a good movie! Hopefully, you'll make a great deal and it'll blow up bigtime. I'd love to see Richard Boddington become a household name in the US as it is in Canada and it looks like you're working towards that! I have to agree with you that many of the big guys don't need to be there so they don't show up, but there are some smaller people I've met and it can't hurt to network. Honestly though, I have met a lot of crew at the event from grip, lighting and camera departments. Maybe with the economy the way it is, nobody's taking any chances and they're trying everything they can to advance their career, but they're definitely less prominent than film makers as you mentioned. Buyers and sellers, that's what it all comes down to, you're right about that and I have certainly met a LOT of bullsh!t artists but they're pretty easy to spot. I usually follow up with a quick search to see who's real and who's full of it. Though, not 100%, it does help. I've also met a lot of actors an actresses there as well, which is always fun. At this point, I have 7...8 scripts completed so this coming year something will get made. It's like you with Dark Reprieve, once you've got one in the can, if it's good, the sky's the limit. It's all about getting that first one made. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your you're promo stuff! From the way you described it, I shouldn't have any trouble spotting it! :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly

LOL, Hey, why not! I believe in publicity stunts!! Last year, Lloyd Kaufman showed up and there was a "Toxic Avenger" clone running around the lobby which everyone seemed to assume had something to do with Halloween, until someone remembered Kaufman was a guest speaker at one of the conferences. I gotta say, the man is absolutely HILARIOUS!! He TRULY reminds me of Mel Brooks, I mean that funny! I got the chance to talk to him alone (well not TOTALLY alone, his bodyguard was there) later that day and had a great time hanging out with him. That's one of the perks of attending for me, you get to meet a lot of interesting folks if nothing else!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on the 6th floor a lot. In and out for meetings in and around LA.

I went out to the grand canyon via helicopter on Sunday, on Monday I saw the Endeavor, Tuesday meetings all day, Wed home.

R,

Most buyers however are quite terrified if they know the director is in the room. They want the freedom to tell the sales agent the movie is a piece of crap, and none of them would want to say this with the director present in the room! :D

R,

Maybe you should go in a disguise.... like a fake beard and sunglasses....

Well I envy you the Grand Canyon stuff, that is soo COOL and I can't fault you for taking care of business but it would have been great to have had a beer with you. I should have sent you an email while I was there so I consider it my fault for not doing so, but what the Hell, there's always next year. With any luck, maybe we'll get the chance to hang out next year.