Ronford Baker F15 and F15S

Gregg MacPherson

I have a Ronford Baker F15 fluid head (as for an Arri II with bottom mount motor) and an F15S (shorter one for normal cameras) sitting here in the office. For someone familiar with these, maybe they can help with some Q&A.

- They have no balance springs. Are people still using these heads? The F15 has a beatiful feel to it. For a Red camera, 35mm or even a built up 16mm kit, these could be a really good, cheap head. (thinking of selling one of them).

- The tilt on the F15S does not have a really feathered start / stop. Does this suggest an overhaul, or maybe just a fluid change? Or that the tilt lock needs cleaning?

- Can the tilt fluid tilt assemblies be easily switched from the F15 to the F15S?

Cheers,

Gregg.

PS. I also have the flat mounting plate for the F15, so any camera can mount.

PPS. They both have 150mm bowl base.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

I have a an F15 and still occasionally use it but find on most jobs I use O'connor 2575 or 2060.

They are still very good heads but don't have counter balance and dial in resistance that recent heads have.

I had mine overhauled at Ronford Baker as it had a slight reverse 'creep' on the pan when coming to a stop.

If yours has not been serviced for a while an overhaul would be a good idea.

I don't know if you can swap the tilt functions between the 15 and 15s and if you are going to sell one keep the F15!

Nick,

Thanks for that response. It was the F15S that I was thinking of keeping. NZ is too far from the UK to send one for an overhaul, but Panavision NZ are agents for Ronford Naker and one or two of their tech guys will know them.

Stonecine are selling an F15 that they say has balance spring. Looks identical to my F15. Maybe the springs are magically hidden in the fluid unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200817218827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_97wt_939

Cheers, Gregg.