Question about tungsten and daylight stock

Hugh Wei

Hello

I have a very very stupid question need to ask.

If i use tungsten stock, do i have to stick to tungsten lights?

Because some people told me tungsten stock is for exterior, and daylight stock is for interior.( somehow, i just don't see the sense in it)

because i'm making a short film, but i only have a red head and a blond head, so i don't know what sort of film stock should i use.

If i use tungsten stock, do i have to stick to tungsten lights?

Because some people told me tungsten stock is for exterior, and daylight stock is for interior.( somehow, i just don't see the sense in it)

No, you're not stuck with anything. You can put a filter on the lens that will correct your light sources to the right color temperature. Or you can put filters on your light sources.

For example with tungsten stock you can shoot with tungsten lights without correction, and you can also shoot exteriors with 85B filter (5500K -> 3200K).

And nowadays you can correct much in telecine if you are transferring to video.

The point is, though, what you will want to look "neutral" in terms of color balance.

It makes sense to use tungsten stock even for exteriors, because daylight stock loses a lot of speed when corrected to tungsten and on exteriors there is usually enough light for slower speed films. If you want to only use one stock, it's a sensible thing to pick a tungsten stock. But of course, it depends :)

No, you're not stuck with anything. You can put a filter on the lens that will correct your light sources to the right color temperature. Or you can put filters on your light sources.

For example with tungsten stock you can shoot with tungsten lights without correction, and you can also shoot exteriors with 85B filter (5500K -> 3200K).

And nowadays you can correct much in telecine if you are transferring to video.

The point is, though, what you will want to look "neutral" in terms of color balance.

It makes sense to use tungsten stock even for exteriors, because daylight stock loses a lot of speed when corrected to tungsten and on exteriors there is usually enough light for slower speed films. If you want to only use one stock, it's a sensible thing to pick a tungsten stock. But of course, it depends :)

Hello Riku

thank you for your answer.

So I can just use tungsten film stock with tungsten lights which will basically provide neutral colour and with the usage of gels on lights can add the colour i need. Is that right?

If i would like the scene to be a bit orange, i could just use daylight film stock with tungsten lights which give the same effect as using tungsten film stock with orange gel on lights, isn't it?(Please, correct me, if i'm wrong)

• Premium Member

If you want the tunsgten-lit scene to look "a bit" orange, it would be better (in my opinion) to use tungsten stock and add some orange (or straw) color to the lights, or add a filter (say, a 1/4 coral) to the lens. Shooting a daylight stock under tungsten lights gives a certain type of orange that goes beyond the "bit" you might be looking for.

Just one view on the matter,

Jonathan

Hello Riku

thank you for your answer.

So I can just use tungsten film stock with tungsten lights which will basically provide neutral colour and with the usage of gels on lights can add the colour i need. Is that right?

If i would like the scene to be a bit orange, i could just use daylight film stock with tungsten lights which give the same effect as using tungsten film stock with orange gel on lights, isn't it?(Please, correct me, if i'm wrong)

If you want the tunsgten-lit scene to look "a bit" orange, it would be better (in my opinion) to use tungsten stock and add some orange (or straw) color to the lights, or add a filter (say, a 1/4 coral) to the lens.  Shooting a daylight stock under tungsten lights gives a certain type of orange that goes beyond the "bit" you might be looking for.

Just one view on the matter,

Jonathan

Thank you very much

You're being very helpful. sorry about my silly questions. It's my first time to work with actual film, i did couple of super 8 before, but it did not occur to me that much :P .

• Premium Member
Thank you very much

You're being very helpful. sorry about my silly questions. It's my first time to work with actual film, i did couple of super 8 before, but it did not occur to me that much :P .

The Kodak website has lots of good information about color balance and filtration:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/exposure.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students....4.9.6.26&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...o01P.shtml#temp

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h2/index_fi.shtml