Lens choice from medium to close

Artyom Zakharenko

Hi all

I've been wondering for a while what other DP's do in a situation like this

Imagine a scene where you expose a person, in a medium, on a 25mm lens, because you want your audience to feel present in the scene

The director says he needs a close up shot as well from the same perspective

Do you stay where you are and use a longer lens, or stay on the same lens and take a few steps towards the actor?

I know it depends on many things this and that, but this is just an example, id like to know how other people 'deal' with this?

This is a bit difficult to answer. It's a collaborative effort between the DP and Director. It depends upon the aesthetic you're trying to achieve (lens compression, field of view, etc.) Unless it's in order to achieve a certain aesthetic, I rarely use a focal length of 24mm. I don't particularly like the distortion that can occur in the facial area (eyes, nose, etc.).

Perspective involves both a centre of projection (ie. the location of the camera) and an angle of view (the lens).

If he said "from the same perspective" that would indicate "from the same centre of projection" (ie. not to move the camera).

Whereas if he said "with the same perspective" that would indicate "with the same angle of view" (ie. not to change the lens)

However while this is technically true it doesn't mean that's what the director meant. Or even what another cinematographer might mean, for that matter.

So the only solution is to get clarification from the director.

C