Tone Project-Short Film

Aaron Munoz

First off, this is my first post. This forum rocks! I ran into this section and I though I'd give it a shot. Here's my student project. It was a minute and a half film that had to keep a consistent tone.

It was shot on the Sony FS100 with a Canon EF 24-70mm and Canon EF 70-200mm. I used an ARRI light kit and stuck with just the 650w and 300w tungsten. Used the scrims and ND gels to knock down the light for the limited dynamic range on the camera. Used a battery powered LED outside the window, only when he is peaking through the blinds. You can kind of see it. hehe.

Enjoy! Critiques welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGGSObJUiDo

It makes me wonder why the light is coming from the top in such a way, and the cookaloris effect isn't very convincing because they seem to be slanted, when the blinds are horizontal, and there doesn't seem to be sufficient light coming from the outside to cast the shadows in that fashion. Also, if someone is coming to kill him and he's expecting it, why didn't he have the gun drawn out, ready to fire and why didn't he lock the door? The light just isn't properly motivated in my opinion, it seems to change drastically on a shot to shot basis.

Thank you for watching. I can see how the music finale can be distracting. As far as motivation for light, I was going for a surreal film noire kind of look. I didn't really pay attention to how realistic the image looked but rather how it felt and drew attention to the viewer.How do you balance motivation and mise en scene?

I think certain sequences in Vertigo are incredibly surrealistic, but Robert Burks still manages maintain continuity in the lighting, whilst creating mood and revealing depth in character through pure imagery, even a surrealistic film like The Cabinet of Caligari has motivated lighting, with lanterns, etc.

caligari.jpg

I think the imagery could have been better, because you're attempting to convey the paranoia of the person, but with the way he is dressed, etc seems to contradict what you;re attempting to do. As you can see from this clip of Vertigo, every subtlety in the lighting and movement has definite meaning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc2s9uSXWKM

• Upvote 1