• Premium Member

Fellow Swede Hoyte van Hoytema, FSF, shot this movie and I have to say (and I'm not just saying this because of that) I think it's one of the best shot movies of the year. I think it should have been Oscar-nominated, in fact. It's the best Alexa footage I've ever seen. Simple, tasteful, great compositions and perfectly exposed (as in under exposed just the right amount for many scenes), making the footage reach a kind of creamy quality.

Excellent work. I'm not surprised Chris Nolan chose him to shoot Interstellar for him. Please watch it.

• Upvote 2

It's an amazing film. Easily the best new release I've seen in years, granted I haven't seen all of the new films. Right up there with Moonrise Kingdom in terms of capturing a certain kind of world, albeit slightly stylized. Compelling and engaging plot, beautiful imagery, you can't ask for much better.

• Premium Member

Fellow Swede Hoyte van Hoytema, FSF, shot this movie and I have to say (and I'm not just saying this because of that) I think it's one of the best shot movies of the year. I think it should have been Oscar-nominated, in fact. It's the best Alexa footage I've ever seen. Simple, tasteful, great compositions and perfectly exposed (as in under exposed just the right amount for many scenes), making the footage reach a kind of creamy quality.

Excellent work. I'm not surprised Chris Nolan chose him to shoot Interstellar for him. Please watch it.

Hoyte is a good friend of mine and we have now done 2 pictures together, THE FIGHTER and INTERSTELLAR. He has quite the interesting history. He's actually not a Swede, although he resides in Stockholm. He's Dutch, born in Switzerland and lives in Sweden. He is very worldly and quite a talented cameraman. His career has just begun and he will be a major influence in cinema.

G

• Premium Member

You are correct Greg. But he does speak Swedish, so we'll appropriate him :P. I agree with your summary, tho. He will be one of the DP's that will influence cinema in the coming years.

Sounds good Adam! He loves living in Stckholm. He speaks very fondly of that. And it's very impressive that he speaks 6 languages!! Not many can claim that. As an American it's amazing that I can speak 2! ;)

G