Pics from Short film

Josh Hill

• Premium Member

People have been posting various pics of their work off and on, and so I thought I would post some of mine (in video, because it was shot and finished on Video).

Most of these shots were lit with 200W fresnels. The night scene outdoors is lit with a single 300W fresnel, and the indoor night scene is lit with a 200W fresnel with barndoors pulled to shoot a diagonal swath of light across the figures with a little bit of bounce light (not much) for fill. Pictures 5, 6, and 7 were shot with a 650W bounced off of foam core.

When I shoot with the XL1s I tend to use only one, maybe two lights at the most. My favorite technique is to pull the barndoors so that I get a tiny swath of light (maybe six inches thick) and throw it across the frame at an odd angle. It tends to look good.

Let me know what you think of the pics. They're all about 100-200K, so I didn't bother posting them here. The links should all work, but if they don't....let me know.

Look forward to hearing back from everyone/anyone.

Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4 Pic 5 Pic 6 Pic 7 Pic 9 Pic 10

People have been posting various pics of their work off and on, and so I thought I would post some of mine (in video, because it was shot and finished on Video).

Most of these shots were lit with 200W fresnels. The night scene outdoors is lit with a single 300W fresnel, and the indoor night scene is lit with a 200W fresnel with barndoors pulled to shoot a diagonal swath of light across the figures with a little bit of bounce light (not much) for fill. Pictures 5, 6, and 7 were shot with a 650W bounced off of foam core.

When I shoot with the XL1s I tend to use only one, maybe two lights at the most. My favorite technique is to pull the barndoors so that I get a tiny swath of light (maybe six inches thick) and throw it across the frame at an odd angle. It tends to look good.

Let me know what you think of the pics. They're all about 100-200K, so I didn't bother posting them here. The links should all work, but if they don't....let me know.

Look forward to hearing back from everyone/anyone.

Pic 1    Pic 2    Pic 3    Pic 4    Pic 5    Pic 6    Pic 7    Pic 9    Pic 10

Not bad at all. The night shots really caught my eye - well done. Shooting night is so damn difficult, and you seemed to pull it off pretty well.

• Premium Member

Josh,

A good set of stills. I personally like the first two the best. I like the lighting design and composition on those the most. They have a nice depth as well. Have these stills been color corrected? As far as my own personal tastes, I'd like to see the blacks crushed a little more on the later stills to give them a little more contrast. Overall the images look a little on the soft side. Was that intentional or a biproduct of the .gif compression? The 14x lens is a good bit sharper than the standard lens. It's the lens I use, so I was wondering if you liked the sharper image. Anyway, nice work. Are you a student, freelancer, or fortunate enough to have a paid position?

If you're interested I've got a set of stills on the "post one of your setups" thread in the lighting section, if you'd like to comment on those. The equipment I used is very much like your own setup for these stills. Keep up the good work.