Is This SR3 Really an Advanced HS Model?

David Fitch

I was browsing the Marketplace and noticed a thread regarding an Arri SR3. As I'm also looking to purchase an Arri or Aaton 16mm camera at some point, I'm trying to pick up on the nuances of each camera and variation, so I have a few questions about the photo posted in the sixth message of this Marketplace thread.

The member who posted the photo describes this SR3 as an HS Advanced model, however a couple of things look a little off. First, this SR3 has a built-in light meter. Wasn't the light meter ditched on the Advanced model (in favor of a brighter viewfinder)? Along the same lines, the "Advanced" printed on the light meter seems a little odd, almost as if it was non-factory.

Also, for HS versions of the SR3, wasn't "HS" printed on both the camera body and the mags?

Finally, what's the deal with the yellow run button? I thought all SR3s had a green run button.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I'm just curious if my observations are correct.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

You're right to question it.

I asked an Arri tech friend to look at it and since there's no "HS" on the body or mag it's most likely NOT an HS model. HS mags have a solid pressure plate and are not interchangeable. Serial #'s on HS versions would be at 7xxx (he thinks.)

He's never seen a yellow button and he's seen a ton of SR3's.

My guess is that it is some early version of the SR3 Advanced possibly by P+S Technik but if it still has the meter I'm not sure what the upgrade really was. Since that "Advanced" on the meter is in yellow I'm guessing whoever did the mod also changed the button. Something has been done to it but it is not the classic Advanced model.

There's a chance that the mod upgraded the camera and mags to high speed and just didn't mark the camera.mags so I wouldn't call foul yet, just ask for more of an explanation from the seller.