Director, writer and...actor

Barry

Hello all. I came across this site while doing research on cinematography as I am in the early stages of pre-production on a feature I plan on shooting in Los Angeles. The film will be my first as director and I will be shooting in either mini DV or 16mm.

My question is about working with director/actors and if any of you have experience with this. I have a very specific ideas - Gordon Willis meets Chris Doyle, lots of handheld, few takes, no coverage just for coverage's sake - but I also want to create an environment where the DP feels comfortable with giving his/her ideas while shooting (since at times I'll be occupied), talking to the actors and since he/she will be the most experienced/knowledgable person on the set, letting me know how I can improve on my overall vision. I consider myself a director in the Woody Allen, Ed Burns department -- the words are the most important to me -- but like those two I understand an interesting conversation that is also creatively photographed can be powerful.

My feeling is that many DPs will enjoy this freedom but not the responsibility. Give them a framework "comfort zone" to shoot within your expectations, thoroughly explain a scene's intentions if not the exact shots. I'd do some loose storyboards and lots of rehearsals if you're not getting much coverage, and work out the blocking very specifically. Be sure to shoot to at least give yourself some editing options, whether it's tight cutaways on hand motions or a pet's reaction or something. Watch the overlap on the dialogue unless it's a master shot.

The DP really shouldn't be talking to the actors much, especially in this type of situation where you're unloading much of your responsibility already in order to be an "actor's director." His or her communication on how to improve your overall vision should be taking place mostly beforehand, not so much on-set, unless it's a technical consideration or problem-solving. Obviously you need someone you can trust.

If I understood correctly, you'll be acting yourself, so either shooting on video or recording the video tap will be handy so you can watch the playback after each scene. Having the editor on-set would be a nice bonus I imagine. Great shooters think like editors in my opinion, but with so little coverage, an extra set of eyes could be invaluable.

• Premium Member

I think most good DP's are going to offer their opinion when they have ideas or when they think that there's a better way to do something. It's up to you to let them follow through with those ideas or not, depending on whether you like the idea or not. Also, if you tell your DP up front, "I'll tell you the basic shot and you set everything up" then it will be clear that you want them to handle lens choices, camera movement and composition, or if you tell them, "I want to have a say in everything you do related to camera" then they will be more dependent on you to be more attentive to camera. It sounds like you plan to be in the "you set it up" category, which is fine, but you need to make that clear going in so that there isn't any confusion on set. In that situation it helps to have an operator who can take direction from the DP and get things set up while the DP is lighting and you're working with the actors. In the situation it sounds like you'll be in, it's very important that you are confident that your DP is comfortable working this way from the very beginning. If he/she doesn't seem confident in this situation while you're still in pre-production, then you should probably look for another DP.

Don't forget that a good DP will save your ass when you really need it, so it's important that the two of you have a good relationship throughout the shoot, because a DP can throw you under the bus as well. A mutual respect will make both your lives easier.

Good luck.