report on NAS anamorphoser

Guest DanielCojanu

Guest DanielCojanu

i just finished the shootings on my short 35mm movie. Because I learn so much from this forum, i'd like to share with you my experience. The anamorphoser did a very good job and i'm happy with the results. NAS anamorphoser produces preety sharp images, but some ''lens breathing'' problems wich I really don't like (you somethimes can avoid it). I calculated my depth of field so i don't need major focus changes.

For interior scenes I exposed at 4.5 - 5.6, for reasonable depth of field.

Unfortunately i had only 40, 50, 75 and 100mm, all of them with the minimum focusing distance at 1,5m. The details or ECU i couldn't make it very tight...but that's it, i liked it and I would do it again.

deep respect,

daniel

• Premium Member

Okay, so I Googled "NAS anamorphoser" and found your previous posts on this forum. The site's own search engine turned up nothing. Hmm....

So I take it the NAS lenses are lenses modified to anamorphic, not just a diopter. I guess those lenses haven't made their way to the US yet, although maybe other European productions have used them. I'm always curious to hear about new anamorphics, since there are relatively few of them.

Guest DanielCojanu

i don't know the precise history of those lenses, all i know is that they were produced by russians in the '60 or '70. yes, it's a anamorphoser put in front of the spherical lens. the kit that I used was modified by romanian engineers to fit on Arri IIC camera in the '70 i think.

Important films were shoot with those lenses(e.g. "Mihai Viteazul"- a superproduction with no limit budget in the comunist period) and the results were very good...now those lenses are very old-fashion and not used anymore...it's history, that's why you didn't find anything on the internet. But for me it was very interesting to do it in CinemaScope.

thanks for the interes on this matter,

Daniel Cojanu

• Premium Member
yes, it's a anamorphoser put in front of the spherical lens. the kit that I used was modified by romanian engineers to fit on Arri IIC camera in the '70 i think.

So what lenses did you use with the NAS anamorphoser?