Composition Questions

Robin Raskol

Hi all, I'm an aspiring cinematographer, and had a few questions pertaining to composition. I'm aware of all the shot types, ranging from Extreme Close-UP (ECU) to Extreme Long Shot (ELS) but I'm having trouble 'classifying' certain shots.

For instance, a "Medium Shot" is defined by capturing a subject from Waist to Head, but what if there is a shot of the subject is in the forefront of the frame, let's say the right side of it, and is captured from Waist to Head, but the shot itself is actually a "Long Shot" or "Wide Shot", and shows a lot of additional background, like a boat or church or school in entirety. Would this shot be classified as a type of Long Shot or would it still be considered a Medium Shot because it simply frames the subject from Waist to Head, regardless of how big or wide the shot is in totality?

Additionally, a Medium Close-Up (MCU) is defined by framing a subject from Shoulders to Head yet in some frames with unusual angles, the frame is more closely zoomed in, and while it shows the subject from the shoulders to the head, the shot only goes to the forehead. Would this still be considered an MCU because it shows the subject from shoulders to head, or would it be more accurately described as a Close-Up (CU)?

Thanks very much in advance for any help you all may offer.

Edited by Robin Raskol