Education for those with no experience/background?

Guest Christian Tate

Guest Christian Tate

Hey, hoping someone can help me.

I have decided that cinematography is where I want to go but I'm completely at a loss as to how to get there and was hoping there might be a few people on here who might be able to provide me with some insight.

I'm a college grad (in a completely unrelated field) who is looking for programs to get into but being in Boston, not what you'd call a major market, it is tough to find resources. However, I am totally willing, OK, pretty much hoping to relocate to pursue my education.

The problem is that I wasn't the best college student (but it's been 7 years now since I graduated) and I am completely discouraged by a lot of big name universities that are most likely not going to admit me.

Can anyone suggest any schools that are a little 'easier' to gain acceptance? Not in the hopes of finding an easier path to my goal but to avoid the stigma that goes along with less than adequate undergraduate grades.

Thanks in advance for any tips, insight, suggestions anyone could offer.

• 2 months later...

I'm in a pretty decent & inexpensive film/video program at a community college in Oklahoma City. I know, I know--who the hell wants to go to Oklahoma??? But, I'm also very inexperienced in the field and it's a great place to start. All of the classes are taught by industry professionals(Gray Frederickson, won an Oscar for producing The Godfather II, for example). I actually just applied for an intership on one of his upcoming films. There are numerous opportunities here for aspiring filmmakers to get a good start and prepare for a more "selective" film school. Oklahoma is pretty far-fetched for a lot of people, but it's worth checking out at least.

Good Luck,

Tamlin

okccc.edu

graymarkproductions.com

Hey, hoping someone can help me.

I have decided that cinematography is where I want to go but I'm completely at a loss as to how to get there and was hoping there might be a few people on here who might be able to provide me with some insight.

I'm a college grad (in a completely unrelated field) who is looking for programs to get into but being in Boston, not what you'd call a major market, it is tough to find resources. However, I am totally willing, OK, pretty much hoping to relocate to pursue my education.

The problem is that I wasn't the best college student (but it's been 7 years now since I graduated) and I am completely discouraged by a lot of big name universities that are most likely not going to admit me.

Can anyone suggest any schools that are a little 'easier' to gain acceptance? Not in the hopes of finding an easier path to my goal but to avoid the stigma that goes along with less than adequate undergraduate grades.

Thanks in advance for any tips, insight, suggestions anyone could offer.