Ride the iris or let it go?

Marty Hamrick

In my line of work (TV news), riding the iris on a continually changing lighting situation is normal.Yet I have now seen a few movies and one doc where it was obvious the iris was ridden to keep up with a changing lighting situation and a few others where the scene just periodically went a little dark or hot.I noticed it particularly in a PBS doc I saw about the Ancient Egyptians where during an interview,the clouds were coming and going and there was one spot where the iris change during the shot had to be at least 5 stops.Then I was watching Fever Pitch last night I noticed a steadicam (eh might have been a dolly shot) where the actors walked toward a brightly lit sky after coming from a darker BG,I noticed the BG and DoF change with the iris changes.Now when do you guys determine when to ride the iris and when to just let some things go hot or dark?

• Premium Member

Some films are full of it. Depends a little on the situation - like in The Insider where Al Pacino is in a dark room and pulls the curtains wide and walks out to a blazing hot sun on the balcony, then there isn't much choice.

But then there's the other one in The Thin Red Line where John Toll doesn't do it at all on exteriors - when the clouds sweep in over the sun-drenched fields they go considerably darker. I love those shots - they're very ominous and brooding.

Exposure is a bit like rec level when you used to copy cassettes in the old days - just a guide, there is no correct level, really. Personally, I try not to work the iris too much in shot since I like the dynamics of light but also the lens changes character when you do. Actually, now that I think about it I don't think I've ever done it... :blink:

I must try it some day. :D

If you are shooting a project that will be telecined and not have to go to a film finish it is better to let them change exposure in post if it is only a stop or two. If you plan a film finish or there is a large stop change, do it in the camera. The example you mentioned sounds like the DP just over compensated.