Gaffer's reel vs. DP reel

• Premium Member

I have never really worked with a Gaffer who had his own reel.

It is a little odd if you think about it. The Gaffer unquestionably has a hand in the final look of a project, but to put that image with your name is a little sketchy in my opinion.

The DP set the exposure, and usually developed the look of the film.

I think you could inadvertently take credit for something that is not your own. Even if you, as the Gaffer, literally decided where every light should be placed, and the DP just came in a took an exposure and shot it, he was still the DP and you were the Gaffer.

Kevin Zanit

Interesting. So, when you were gaffer's or are considering hiring a gaffer, it's entirely recommendation based?

Make sense, I guess. Everything I've gaffed I've gotten the job from someone I know or their friends; I just always assumed a point would come in the future when I'd be up for a job with a DP I didn't know as well, and I'd be expected to show some material that I had worked on.

With the understanding that of course, it's the DPs work, but demonstrating the level of experience you have as a gaffer, that you've worked with DPs who do work to such a level.

Sounds like, when it comes down to it, I should just show my DP reel if I'm up for a job with people I don't know and they want to see something, since that gives as good a sense for whatever skills I might have.

thaks for the info,

chuck haine

i think the danger of sending a gaffer reel is that it is so non-standard, it might suggest (to the producers) a lack of experience in real-world work. People are interested in your experience, which should be spelled out on your resume, or 30-second sales pitch.

When I have to go gaffer shopping, it's all from personal recommendations. Then you want to talk with the person directly and make sure they're not

1) cranky bulldozers (man, there are a lot of them)

2) egomaniacs

3) incompetent boobs

i don't ask for much...i just don't want to spend the entire shoot fighting with the dude who is supposed to be helping me. ;)

When I have to go gaffer shopping, it's all from personal recommendations. Then you want to talk with the person directly and make sure they're not

1) cranky bulldozers (man, there are a lot of them)

2) egomaniacs

3) incompetent boobs

i don't ask for much...i just don't want to spend the entire shoot fighting with the dude who is supposed to be helping me. ;)

What's a cranky bulldozer?

Anyways from personal experience I use to grip and still do occasionally

And anyone who ask for a grip or gaffer reel should be avoided like the plague

I remember this one project I apply to I was ask for a reel (for gripping :blink: )

Anyways after I informed them there's no such thing

They hired me and it was a pretty horrible shoot

I didn't even get my paycheck ever--so taught me a lesson. :angry:

Usually a gaffer is recommended by someone else...

Usually DPs like to work with the same gaffer and g&e people they have before

If they can't they're usually cranky...

So they'll take anyone who's highly recommended...

If you got on a set as a gaffer with no recommendations or reel

It's mostly because they were desperate and really needed you

As always there's alot of politics involved

& it behooves you to make friends with DPs and other gaffers

If you plan on making a living gaffing...

But one thing you should always remember is:

Avoid any producers who ask you for a gaffer reel!

>What's a cranky bulldozer?

sorry, i could have just left that whole last bit off- But a cranky bulldozer is someone who shows up first thing griping about whatever there is to gripe about, complains about every setup and then does whatever he wants, regardless of your wishes or instructions.

To be fair, I've had some GREAT gaffers, guys who really know light, make suggestions that simplify a set-up and/or make it it look even better.

A reel for a gaffer is not neccesary. What is more important for a gaffer to get jobs are primarily personal relationships and secondary, a resume. Personal relationships with DP's and production people, mainly production managers and producer's get gaffers most jobs. But also the resume becomes important just to have a list of credits and jobs. Additionally the resume becomes paramount when a DP wants a certain gaffer for a studio picture. If they haven't got a good resume a studio will probably nix the choice. They not only want someone experienced technically, they want someone who knows how to deal with schedules and the various personalities diplomatically.

just my 2 cents

Tim