Are all Angenieux 11.5 - 138 S16 Lenses "HR" Series?

I've been looking into the Angenieux 11.5 - 138 lens, and while I thought there was only one variety of this lens, I seem to be finding a couple of different variations. There seems to be a version with the "HR" designation noted on the lens barrel, and a version without. If there are, in fact, two (or more)_ different versions, can someone please explain the differences? Also, were all versions originally S16 safe, or did some require modifications?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a hard time finding out much about this lens.

I have been told that there was the original, a MK11 and a MKIII version of this lens. I have bought one that starts with serial #156.

The latest serial number i have been able to see anywhere starts with 157.

Does anybody know anything about this lens?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Where did you hear about 3 versions?

As far as I'm aware the 11.5-138 came out in the early 90s around the same time or even later than the 25-250 HR. Maybe the variations in front ring and front housing markings are because the marketing department didn't decide to capitalise on the 35mm HR name until a little later. Just guessing though.

I suppose it's also possible that the first 10-120s converted to S16 as 11.5-138 weren't engraved with the HR designation like the later factory made ones. The 10-120 first came out in the mid 80s around the time of the 25-250 HP (totally different lens to the earlier tromboning 10-120 from the 60s) and was also very highly regarded. The big coating improvements came with the HP, so those 10-120s wouldn't be optically much different from the 11.5-138 except for the image circle coverage.

If there were indeed different versions of the 11.5-138 I'd venture to say it will have pretty minimal impact on the image quality, far less than the state of wear and service history of the individual lens.

Edited by Dom Jaeger

Dom,

Thank you for the information.

I recently bought an 11.5-138 and sent it for service. I bought in the US and it went for service in a very well known lens repair/service shop.

Chatting with the guy who had it on the bench he told me it was a later version of the lens - probably a Mk II or possibly a Mk III. Intrigued abut this comment i asked him about it.

He said he knew the lens very well and worked on a good number of them over the years. He said the one i had just bought was in very good condition and looked quite fresh and that from the look of things it was a later model of that lens. He projected it and he said it was doing everything that it was supposed to do and was in great condition and performing very well. My lens has all white engravings which he said is factory original for that version.

Mine starts with serial 156. I have seen one of these lenses on the Net with a serial starting 157 -

http://www.camtec.tv/lenses/16mm-primes/angenieux-11.5-138 This particular lens has yellow and white engravings.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=53885&page=1This lens has all yellow engravings.

The service guy who serviced mine said he paints ALL the engravings yellow on a tired looking lens to brighten it up a bit. - SO all yellow is a sure sign of a lens that has had major service and seen a lot of work it seems (assumption).

Not a lot out there on these lenses. So far Dom YOU are the power house of information.

I have also bought an Old New 10-120 N16 Lens - the forerunner of the 11.5-138. Its new out of the box with an Arri B mount. Thinking of having this changed to a PL. Do you think i should send that for a service as well given its sat for years unused or touched? It comes with 15mm rails and a focus damper

• Premium Member

Hi Mark,

Congrats on the lens purchases.

Sounds like your tech knows more about them than I do.

We have a couple of 11.5-138s in our rental fleet, but I'm not there at the moment to check serial numbers. Most online examples seem to be 157.. so if your 156.. model is a late version the changes must have been early. Too bad the tech didn't mention what the changes between versions were.

As far as getting the 10-120 serviced, I guess I would always recommend a tech have a look over a lens that is newly purchased. If you're adapting it to PL it certainly pays to have the back focus checked. Whether it needs a full overhaul or not I don't know, depends on how it's been stored. Angenieux lubricants are pretty stable in my experience, but I'd see how it feels and checks out on projection. A professional overhaul might prolong the lens life but not be essential for the immediate function.