Using a grey card correctly

If I have a wide shot of a scene that uses a lot of different lights in the scene how do I use the grey card with a spot meter?

I have the main subject in a chair reading with a lamp in a dark room with splashes of light in corners and some coming in through the window at dusk. Should I place the card near the subject under the lamp? How do I make sure I represent proper skin tones? Should I get proper skin tones once I figure out my f-stop for the grey card?

Can I then use the spot meter to look at the scene and find out how many stops parts of the room are over or under from the neutral grey?

Typically yes at the principal subject.

It's usually reccomended to angle the grey card from the meter, but in a lighting setup, honestly I generally read on and off perpendicular. I want to know what the geometry of the lighting is doing.

(compare using an incident meter with its hemisphere, not coincidentally face-like)

The skin tones should fall into place if you do this right.

Yes then you can use the spot meter to see the rest of the room as you describe.

-Sam

Ok, so if I take a reading with an incident meter pointed at the camera by the subject's face I should have an f-stop about half a stop down from the reading off of the card?

For instance if I had 4.0 on the card from the spot meter would the incident (with hemisphere) give me an f-stop halfway between 2.8 and 4.0? Then if I took a reading of the subject's face, say an average irish man without a tan I should get a reading about 5.6 or between 5.6 and 8?

I was looking at the Kodak website. I just wanted to see if I was understanding everything correctly.

From what I understand incident light meter readings are based on a 13% grey instead of the 18% that a reflective light meter is calibrated to.

• Premium Member
I was looking at the Kodak website.  I just wanted to see if I was understanding everything correctly. 

From what I understand incident light meter readings are based on a 13% grey instead of the 18% that a reflective light meter is calibrated to.

Hi there,

A spot meter pointed at a grey scale may well give you a different reading to an incident meter for that reason. Hovever I use a spot meter to measure the contrast in the scene and then decide where to place the exposure based on how I want the image to look.

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com