Photoflood Bulbs & Fixtures

Hey folks.

We're doing some lighting tests in advance of our film. On the advice of some people online, I went in search of some photoflood bulbs. For test purposes, I purchased four GE 250W ECA 3200K tungsten photoflood bulbs and four GE 250W BCA daylight balanced photoflood bulbs. According to the web site of the merchant I purchased them from, they will work with any standard household fixture (assuming it can handle the wattage, of course.)

We got some 250W work lamps from Lowe's to use. However, when I got the bulbs, the packaging says "Use this lamp ONLY in fixtures that have been specifically designed for it." And when I tried one of the bulbs in these fixtures, it very quickly developed a very strong burning smell.

Can someone give me the straight scoop on these bulbs and whether we should be using them with a standard work light fixture from Lowe's or if we need something specialized?

Thanks!

=Tom=

Edited by Tom E. Pinkerton

• Premium Member

If the bulbs have the standard Edison screw-base, you can use them in any fixture that takes them -- however, higher wattages will cause the standard paper-lined sockets to overheat, not to mention the lamp cord, plugs, etc. (hence why most fixtures these days say to not use anything higher than 60 watts or 75 watts), so use them only during the shot and turn them off between takes. For any prolonged use, like in a Chinese Lantern, use porcelain sockets and heavier-gauge wire if possible.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The bulbs use a standard medium base Edison socket. What we have now are not home lamps, but rather worklights with aluminum dome reflectors on them. According to the stickers on them, they can handle up to 250 watt bulbs, rather than the 75-100 watt maximums on most household lights. However, it is my understanding that the photoflood bulbs run much hotter than even a standard 250 watt bulb. I was, frankly, a little alarmed when I started to smell a burning odor right away. Is this normal for the photofloods, or a sigh that something is wrong?

Do you have a link to any fixtures you'd recommend using with these bulbs?

Thanks!

=Tom=

Thanks for the quick reply!

The bulbs use a standard medium base Edison socket. What we have now are not home lamps, but rather worklights with aluminum dome reflectors on them. According to the stickers on them, they can handle up to 250 watt bulbs, rather than the 75-100 watt maximums on most household lights. However, it is my understanding that the photoflood bulbs run much hotter than even a standard 250 watt bulb. I was, frankly, a little alarmed when I started to smell a burning odor right away. Is this normal for the photofloods, or a sigh that something is wrong?

Do you have a link to any fixtures you'd recommend using with these bulbs?

Thanks!

=Tom=

The bulbs generate no more heat than a residential 250 watt Edison base bulb. However, most sockets are not designed for that kind of wattage.

Also, note that unless the orientation of the bulb is base down, the sockets will heat up much quicker than a typical table lamp.

Work light fixtures simply don't have the airflow or construction for this application. DO NOT USE work light fixtures.

The most common use of floods is in Chinese lanterns. I use 500 watt Edison floods installed in common paper lanterns. 500 watt bulbs MUST be installed base down. This how I do it:

From an electrical supply house or lamp distributor, obtain porcelain pipe mount Edison fixtures. There is a particular type of "all thread" pipe, about 1/2" in diameter, that is used in the construction of residential table lamps. The

pipe mount fixtures screw directly onto this pipe. The most convenient way to purchase this pipe is in the form of pre-cut nipples, about 2.5" in length.

Chinese lanterns, at least the way I buy them in Chinatown, NY, come without fixtures, but with a removable wire frame intended for universal adaptation. I mount the Edison fixture, with a small piece of the aforementioned all-thread, to the frame with twists of 1/8" brass welding rod. Stainless is even better, if you can get it. With some work, you can rigidly fix the porcelain fixture in this frame, base down.

In use, the lamps are supended by common hemp twine. Provided that they are not abused, they can run continuously, despite the close proximity of the lantern rice paper, without the slightest bit of overheating.