See the beam of light

Hi!

I'm trying to get a light setup like this :

Captain-America-hazy-room-300x199.jpg

I know that when you use a backlight this reveals the trajectory of the light, because the particles in suspension reflect this same light. So I ask my self what kind of light projector I will need.
Do I need a more spot light or flood light? And it's necessary only 1 light without any other light in the room? It's possible to get this look with natural source of light?
I only have 3 500W halogen projectors, it possible to get this light with these projectors?
If I have the possibility to rent light projectors, what kind of this I will need and reflectors (parabolic, elipsoidal...) ?
Thank you all

• Premium Member

What kind of halogen lights do you have? Are they 500w worklights? You might be able to achieve that look with 3 of those, though you'd have very little control over the beam. You'll need to rent a haze machine first of all - liberal use of haze will allow you to see the 'beam' as the light from the fixtures hits and reflects off the particles of the haze.

Ideally, you'd want a larger fresnel light to offer a more controlled beam to fire through the window.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the replies guys, You're right Mark, just 500w halogen worklights. I use one projector and some cardboard to achieve some handmade barn doors. This is a couple of frames extracted from a testing shoot with the canon 650D and the yashica 28mm 2.8.

1534787_608737702579995_3876800343495861

10457450_608737622580003_489999072992118