Advice From Douglas Adams

Here's a quote from Douglas Adams about becoming a writer, pertinent with the pending release of his most famous book as a big budget movie. Just take out the word author and insert "filmmaker", and it applies here perfectly.

Of course authors can work a heck of a lot cheaper than filmmakers, technically all you need to write a best selling novel is a pen and some paper. Quite cheap compared to making even a low budget movie. :D

"How should prospective writers go about becoming an author?

First of all, realise that it's very hard, and that writing is a gruelling and lonely business and, unless you are extremely lucky, badly paid as well. You had better really, really, really want to do it. Next you have to write something. Unless you are committed to novel writing exclusively, I suggest that you start out writing for radio. It's still a relatively easy medium to get into because it pays so badly. But it is a great medium for writers because it relies so much on the imagination. You will learn a tremendous amount from it, and maybe get some useful exposure.

What qualities are needed by an author?

A determination to keep at it. "

...ust take out the word author and insert "filmmaker", and it applies here perfectly.

"How should prospective filmmakers go about becoming a filmmaker?

First of all, realise that it's very hard, and that filmmaking is a gruelling and lonely business and, unless you are extremely lucky, badly paid as well. You had better really, really, really want to do it. Next you have to shoot something. Unless you are committed to long format exclusively, I suggest that you start out filmmaking for radio. It's still a relatively easy medium to get into because it pays so badly. But it is a great medium for filmmakers because it relies so much on the imagination. You will learn a tremendous amount from it, and maybe get some useful exposure.

What qualities are needed by a filmmaker?

A determination to keep at it. "

They didn't even mention filmmaking for radio at film school. I want my money back! <_<