Dare mo Shiranai (Nobody Knows)

Steve Milligan

Anyone know what camera Yutaka Yamasaki used to shoot the new documentary-style film from Hirokazu Kore-eda, "Dare mo Shiranai" (English title: "Nobody Knows")? I was very impressed with the latitude and depth of field of what several sources are calling a "hand-held digital camcorder"--not to mention the film itself, which was beautiful. Was it all available light?

I also wondered about the triangular bokeh apparent in some scenes. I don't recall seeing these before, what would cause them?

Steve Milligan

Camera Operator

Chapel Hill, NC

• Premium Member

The "hand-held digital camcorder" was a Super16 filmcamera...

There is an article in last month's AC. I don't remember anymore whether it was an Arri or an Aaton. The film was shot on 7218, which explains the latitude. Triangular bokeh could come from using older Zeiss Superspeeds (with only 3 leaves), but since I don't have my AC with me at the moment, I don't know for sure which lenses were used.

Well, that makes a lot more sense, thanks for setting me straight. My faith in random film reviewers is suitably reduced.

Googled a bit more and found this--

HK: Yes. We used almost all natural lighting and he shot in Super 16, with the Aaton.

( http://www.xms.gr/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=375 )

The "hand-held digital camcorder" was a Super16 filmcamera...