The Future of MiniDV

Guest cinematography

Guest cinematography

With the new HD cameras that are coming out, do you MiniDV will soon become obsolete? Are new MiniDV cameras still being made?

$6k is way too much for most consumers, even 3k is. I would imagine that we'll start to see a major drop in miniDV pricing and that will indicate when the miniDV format is going to end. They will make miniDV cameras though for quite some time still.

I'm sure there will be affordable consumer HDV cameras in the not distant future as well.

With the new HD cameras that are coming out, do you MiniDV will soon become obsolete? Are new MiniDV cameras still being made?

I think it's too early to call MiniDV obselete

But most people who used them for moviemaking will move forward...

Sometimes the industry can be very fickle

That it's amazing to see the staying power of film...

Or maybe it's because film is such a stable medium

People can't brush it aside so quickly as they do with video

Now it's wrong to say that MiniDV will become obselete

Actually it'll evolved to HDV! (which is still recorded on MiniDV tape)

Just like when 24P DV arrived 60i DV was seen as inferior even useless

Well now the same thing is happening to Standard Def. DV

Eventually

Standard Def. MiniDV will become what it's always been a consumer format

And less and less people will think it's apt for moviemaking.

Of course in a couple of years tape recording will be pushed aside

By P2 cards and harddrives and other forms of digital data recording

As technology constantly continues to evolve...

But guess what people will still be using--Film. :)

Not until everyone owns an HD television set will MiniDV become obsolete. Though, as was mentioned, MiniDV-related technologies will drop in price as newer formats evolve, such as said tapeless solutions, as well as HDV which is already becoming quite popular.

In the meantime, MiniDV is here to stay. The technology to produce compact, acceptable-quality $500 MiniDV cameras already exists, and the market for these types of video cameras is massive. Of course, the technology to produce compact acceptable-quality HDV cameras probably exists too, but it'll be awhile before the price for one of these falls below $500.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cinematography

Thanks for the feedback, folks. :)

I got a little worried because Canon seems to be discontinuing the *XL2*. When I click "buy now", it says "Currently, we have no online dealers selling the Canon XL2 Body Kit".

Or maybe there is just something wrong with their site? :P

Does anyone know of any popular, film production worthy, MiniDV cameras that are still in production?

• Premium Member

Hmmm....

16mm film cameras have been on the market since 1923, and are not about to be discontinued, although they and the film they use are constantly being improved. :)

And the 35mm format is over a century old! B)

(I just enjoy pointing out those kinds of things!) ;)

(BTW, I also own a MiniDV camera for my "home" movies).

• Premium Member
Sometimes the industry can be very fickle

That it's amazing to see the staying power of film...

Or maybe it's because film is such a stable medium

People can't brush it aside so quickly as they do with video

What a load of cr*p! MiniDV is for making home videos - you know, babies, weddings etc. What proportion of the world's baby "videos" are shot on film?

What a load of cr*p! MiniDV is for making home videos - you know, babies, weddings etc. What proportion of the world's baby "videos" are shot on film?

MiniDv is generally used by amature film makers but do not underestimate it. Some travel shows still use miniDv believe it or not. Their is plenty of Docos that are still using miniDv mainly because the cameras arnt as heavy or bulky as HD cameras. MiniDv still has relativly good quality. Actually come to think of it their is a fairly recent German feature film that used MiniDv i believe it was called "the edukators" not a bad film either.

Its amazing how far a little bit of colour correction can go.

Guest cinematography
Hmmm....

16mm film cameras have been on the market since 1923, and are not about to be discontinued, although they and the film they use are constantly being improved.  :)

And the 35mm format is over a century old!  B)

(I just enjoy pointing out those kinds of things!)  ;)

(BTW, I also own a MiniDV camera for my "home" movies).

Good points. :D

Its amazing how far a little bit of colour correction can go.

Very true.

Edited by cinematography

• Premium Member

Why is it that some one asks a legitimate video related question "will HDV replace DV" and straight away he gets a load of "film will never die" comments? Maybe film is in fact God, which would probably explain the sudden need to get evangelical about it? Its very weird!

Why is it that some one asks a legitimate video related question "will HDV replace DV" and straight away he gets a load of "film will never die" comments? Maybe film is in fact God, which would probably explain the sudden need to get evangelical about it? Its very weird!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

if enough people put film down as their religion on the next census then it will be a religion who is the god though 70mm?

• Premium Member

Film has a proven track history of over a century. The basic formats have remained the same, although the film and film-related technology (e.g., scanners, telecine) have kept up with the demands of modern production and aesthetics. Images made many decades ago still entertain us, and have been retransferred to the latest (but ever changing) video formats for convenience and mass distribution. Film itself is not immortal, but it may just be that the images captured on film are. B)

• Premium Member
Film has a proven track history of over a century. The basic formats have remained the same, although the film and film-related technology (e.g., scanners, telecine) have kept up with the demands of modern production and aesthetics.  Images made many decades ago still entertain us, and have been retransferred to the latest (but ever changing) video formats for convenience and mass distribution.  Film itself is not immortal, but it may just be that the images captured on film are.  B)

I don't disagree with you John. I just think its really weird that it's almost compulsary to bang on about the wonders of film, irrelevant of the question. (You're excused cos you work for Kodak!)

A BBC reporter once said of Margaret Thatcher it was irrelevant what question he asked, she would give the answer to the question she wanted to give.

Question: What's the weather like?

Answer: Film will be around forever and it isn't covered in grain and doesn't get dirty and it doesn't wobble in the frame.

Weird!

• Premium Member
Answer: Film will be around forever and it isn't covered in grain and doesn't get dirty and it doesn't wobble in the frame.

Those qualities depend on the film you use, and how you handle it and store it. B)

Having worked with motion picture film since 1967, I guess I'm biased, even though I'm an Electronics Engineer, and Kodak has given me a fair share of "hybrid" film/electronics projects as well (e.g., I developed the original TAF test target for telecine alignment).

Guest will

a. film is superior. end of argument.

b. film is convienient and cheap. Well....

lets ask our local Kodak 1hr photo...I mean

digital printing shop.

------------

Mini-DV is not dead and will not be in this

tiny market of ours for 10 years. Who

knows about everywhere else. Who cares.

Mac Vs. PC, Film Vs. Digital.....ughhhh.

-will

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

This is kind of an old post, but I'm bored, so I'll post.

As others have said, news of Standard Definition and MiniDV's death is premature. It's going to be a while before they go away. Over time, more people will be start asking for HD instead of MiniDV, but HDV is still in it's infancy. We're at the first generation, JVC's camera of a few years ago was the first, but we're just getting to the point where it's a little more practical to use.

Delivery and widespread adoption of the technlogy is a ways off. I think a lot of people will want "HD" not realizng that for their SD systems, it won't make much difference. I'm still shooting a lot of gigs on SD formats, so if you're worried about your investment, I think it will pay for itself.

(off camera)

"Nyaaaaaugh"

That's right Chewie. Well said.