Video and Film Formats

RazaMalik

hey guys this is my first post though i have been browsing the site for a while now. am a multimedia student and i enjoy filming and editing. my question is just how many video and film formats exist? i know a few like 35mm, 16mm, super16, 8mm for film and vhs, svhs, betacam, digibeta/ hi8, minidv, dvcam, dvcpro, hdv, pro hd, dvcpro hd, hd for video and a lot more if we get into the computer formats like avi, quicktime, divx, mpeg, realmedia.... then we have this pal/secam/ntsc and region limits on dvds.

i'd like to know how many more do we have? what are the pros and cons of each format, the cost, quality and compatibility.

thanx

hey guys this is my first post though i have been browsing the site for a while now. am a multimedia student and i enjoy filming and editing. my question is just how many video and film formats exist? i know a few like 35mm, 16mm, super16, 8mm for film and vhs, svhs, betacam, digibeta/ hi8, minidv, dvcam, dvcpro, hdv, pro hd, dvcpro hd, hd for video and a lot more if we get into the computer formats like avi, quicktime, divx, mpeg, realmedia.... then we have this pal/secam/ntsc and region limits on dvds.

i'd like to know how many more do we have? what are the pros and cons of each format, the cost, quality and compatibility.

thanx

Just for clarification - you should place the "computer formats" into a different category. And in that category - divide between platform and codec. Quicktime is a platform - within that platform, it can play mpeg and a ton of other public and proprietary codecs. For a list of relevant codecs - you can start here: http://www.siggraph.org/education/material...ecs/Default.htm

With that pandora's box out of the way - there is the issue of Standards - NTSC, PAL, SECAM, etc - thoe are not really in the same category as 35mm and miniDV as if you say you want to use an "NTSC" camera - you've not really narrowed down your selection that much.

Next - might make some more subdivisions. Capture formats and tape formats.

D1, D2, 1" - these are all tape formats - but you aren't going to find a D2 camcorder. MiniDV is a tape format - but you will find a miniDV camcorder.

Are you mostly looking for informtion about currently used capture formats?

so we have formats, standards, architectures and codecs. that makes it much easier to understand all the stuff i mentioned earlier. the web link is very useful though i could'nt see apple's new H.264 codec for high defination dvd. thanx for sharing Mark.

Are you mostly looking for informtion about currently used capture formats?

yes thats would be helpful.

Off the top of my head (and in the time it takes for my shots to render)... (If a camera has a proprietary tape or tapeless format, I'm listing the camera as a format)... Here's an attempt at structuring the information - not an attempt to list everything, other people can add to the list.

Capture options

Film:

IMAX

65mm

35mm (3 perf, Super35mm, Academy, Anamorphic)

16mm (super 16mm, anamorphic)

8mm

super8

Video:

Standard: HD

HDCAM

Dalsa

Viper

Standard: NTSC

BetcamSP

MiniDV

HDV

Film and Tape Formats:

Film:

IMAX

65mm

35mm (add vistavision?)

etc

Video:

1" (nearly obsolete, but still out there)

D1

D2

DigiBeta

BetaSP

Beta

3/4" (nearly obsolete)

VHS

MiniDV

HDV

etc

- renders done. hope this helps as a starter

• Premium Member

To be more exact, there are these film formats:

15-perf 65mm (IMAX / OMNIMAX)

10-perf 65mm

8-perf 65mm

5-perf 65mm

- spherical

- 1.25X anamorphic (obsolete)

8-perf 35mm

- spherical (VistaVision)

- 1.5X anamorphic (obsolete)

4-perf 35mm:

- Full Aperture / Super-35

- Sound Aperture (1.37 Academy, 1.66, 1.85, 2X anamorphic 2.39)

3-perf Super-35

2-perf 35mm (Techniscope / Multivision 235)

Super-16

Regular 16mm

Super-8

Regular 8mm

There are these HD tape formats:

HDCAM-SR

HDCAM

HD-D5

DVCPRO-HD

HDV

HD-D6

D-VHS

There are a number of computer tape formats.

Analog standard def videotape formats:

3/4" U-matic

Beta-SP

VHS

1"

Digital standard def videotape formats:

Digital Betacam

D5

D1

D2

Mini-DV

DVCAM

DVCPRO

DVCPRO-50

IMX

There are many items I've not mentioned...

I'm not sure why this is a topic for a forum discussion though -- more like the subject of a textbook.