When does cinematography start and stop?

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

Reading the last thread and Boone said and I quote "I'm fearing that you might be confusing the work of the music video cinematographer with the work of the music video colorist." I find this an interesting statement, because surely although a gradist's skill influences the final image (as would other post work) the cinematographer must surely take overall responsibility over the image and therefor credit. On the other hand if a piece of footage is composited and 're-lit' digitally then does the credit go to the cinematographer or the FX supervisor? You could of course say that a cinematographer should only be credited (and take responsibility) for the work en masse rather than individual examples...... wadya think?

Keith

• Premium Member

I cannot tell you how many times my preferences have been completely overruled in a grading session - removing the film very far from my, and many times the directors, intentions. Still, I will be judged for the look of it all, my name is on it and I will take the blame. Therefore it is essential that you fight for certain things. I've become much more protective over my work lately simply because I've been screwed over so many times. No more mister nice guy.

I've even had people put letterboxing in post on stuff we agreed to shoot in 4:3, with the comment "it looks cooler - more like a feature. The record company likes it". They didn't even bother to adjust the picture to preserve headroom, they just slapped it on. So now everyone is cut mid-head and all the compositions look like poop.

From what I've heard from my collegues in the US, the DP is not even welcome in the grading session there - that's the domain of the agency. After you wrap shooting it's completely out of your hands. It's not as bad as that here in England, but you still have to kind of beg to come to the grade.

If I'm to blame for bad work, then I sure as hell want input and at least the chance to try to make it good. That's my view.