Panastar

Mark Sasahara

• Premium Member

I'm going to be shooting some ads with a Panastar for some high speed stuff, as well as for normal speed stuff. Anyone have any info on idiosyncracies of and tips about the Panastar? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I may also end up renting a Photosonics to get higher frame rates.

Thanks,

-M

• Premium Member
I'm going to be shooting some ads with a Panastar for some high speed stuff, as well as for normal speed stuff. Anyone have any info on idiosyncracies of and tips about the Panastar? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-M

Hi,

At higher speeds you have to oil the gate fairly often, and before every take above 100 FPS like a Mitchell Mk II or GC.

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member
At higher speeds you have to oil the gate fairly often, and before every take above 100 FPS like a Mitchell Mk II or GC.

Oh Gee. I overheard one DP claiming that the Panastar is better than the 435. But he had such a horrible Panavision bias.

• Premium Member

You got it John.

Its no big deal to get it from them, it is in their best interests to keep their cameras lubricated as well.

It comes with the camera, but you can always ask for more if you want (I don't know why in the world you would need more considering they give you enough to last a career).

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
I'm going to be shooting some ads with a Panastar for some high speed stuff, as well as for normal speed stuff.

Thanks,

-M

Hi,

You may be better off with 400' rolls shooting high speed. I had a Jam yesterday with a big roll on a MK II Mitchell very messy! You won't need silicon, that for the quiet cameras!

The Photosonics 4ER is very slow to work with, VERY heavy, needs a technician and has to be extensively oiled every 1000' or about 45 minutes from last oiling! With a 1000' roll you can get mabe 4 takes (360 FPS)if you call action just BEFORE speed, otherwise its 1 or 2 takes a roll! In 12 hours we shot 8000 feet and 8 set ups. Not Easy.Use big lights (10K 's) as small ones may flicker , or flicker free HMI's . You will need lots of light, the shutter is 120 Degrees.

Have fun,

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw com

• Premium Member
Use big lights (10K 's) as small ones may flicker , or flicker free HMI's . You will need lots of light, the shutter is 120 Degrees.

I would stay away from HMI's, and stick with the larger Tungsten units. If you have access to DC power then you can run any tunsten light without worrying about flicker.

• Premium Member
I would stay away from HMI's, and stick with the larger Tungsten units.  If you have access to DC power then you can run any tunsten light without worrying about flicker.

Hi,

Why not Flicker Free HMI's? If you need to light a big area you need so much light losing 5 stops with the Phorosonics, 120 Degree Shutter, Beam Splitter and 360 FPS. I have used 10K Tungsten for table top and ended up at T2.8. For Shooting a tennis player full size I ended up at a T4 using 12K par Flicker Free, in both cases using 200 ASA film.

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member

Well I think it?s more when you get into frame rates of 500fps and higher is when the problems start coming.

He is also speaking of experiences from the Cinespeed with super high frame rates and flicker problems (around 1000fps). The fact that it is the Cinespeed and not a film camera really does not make a difference, as the math is the same.

The odd thing is that different brands of flicker free ballasts and head combinations, and different types of units (PAR or fresnel) will have different flicker characteristics/ problems.

I know on one shoot he did with the camera (I am only telling this story because he isn?t at the moment) they had set up with all HMIs. There were flicker problems, so they used the DC power on the stage (one of few that still have DC power, Universal) and used several Dinos and 20ks.

Even with certain tungsten units on AC power there is still flicker problems at higher speeds. I don't remember why, but I am sure Elhanan does.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Speaking of needing a lot of light for high speed:

This is from a Cadillac commercial. The shot was a water drop on the shift knob at 500fps.

12k PAR overhead. It ended up cracking the windshield, and eventually melted the glass into a brown liquid!

post-37-1115412181.jpg

High speed is fun.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Even with certain tungsten units on AC power there is still flicker problems at higher speeds.  I don't remember why, but I am sure Elhanan does.

Kevin Zanit

Hi,

With small tungsten lights they cool down between each cycle of the electricity, I have seen flicker from 1k's but not 5 & 10Ks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Thanks guys! I was away and really appreciate the replies. The machine oil comment was a joke. As part of the kit the little bottle of oil comes with the pkg. It just sounded like I might want to get a 55gal. drum and some sort of constant feed mechanism :~)

So Kevin, did you get to keep the Cadillac since it was busted? Or did they take it out of your pay :~) Thank God for production insurance, right?

Yeah, I have heard of A/C flicker at certain high frame rates, but didn't know how high.

The stuff I want to do I can probably get by with the 120FPS of the Panastar. Was thinking of maybe a Photosonics at around 300FPs, maybe 500. Still tweaking the script.