Any AFI students on this board?

I was thinking about applying to the AFI Conservatory, I mainly have experience as a screenwriter, I've had 2 screenplays on the Black List's Top List, which leads me to believe that I have a better chance of breaking in that way. I learned how to write on my own, and i feel like I can get better at it. I'm currently 26 and my passion is really in all areas of filmmaking, but sadly I have no resources to make other short films. It's a frustrating affair, since I have no filmmaking friends who have the time and equipment. I feel like I need to network with people that have similar interests, because there's no way I can fund my own films. Like Orson Welles put it, it takes an army to make a film, I can't do it on my own.

I wanted to learn more about cinematography and make films with other students who are truly passionate. I feel cinematography is the language of cinema, the real challenge is transferring words into images. I already started an application for the 2015 semester, and I imagine it will be difficult to get in, but ti's worth the attempt.

• Premium Member

I have no connections to AFI, but I say go for it! At the very least it will force to be in close proximity to other like-minded filmmakers and experienced mentors who can open doors for you. Congrats on getting two screenplays on the Black List, that's fantastic. At least if you are in LA, you might be able to get some meetings out of it.

I should note that it's not on the prestigious annual Black List but on the site's monthly Top List, which is a huge difference. I don't really see it as an achievement, but it's better than nothing I guess. I really wanted to do more hands on cinematography with work that I haven't written myself as well, I don't think I'll get in, but it's worth the try. I've also looked into the New York Film Academy, the goal is to meet like minded individuals and do projects, so I suppose that's also an alternative.

• Premium Member

Hey, take credit wherever you can, no one else is gonna give you any!

You gotta be where the work is to get work, that makes all the difference. New York is good, LA is good. Other places as well, SF is quite busy now too.