Best 16mm retailers?

Brian Rose

The title pretty much says it. From your experiences, who are the most reputable sellers of new/used 16mm cameras? Who offers the best prices? Any websites? I would be most appreciative of any info!

Best,

BR

That's what's really driving me nuts, actually. I can't decide between a late model Bolex (EBM, EL) or the Eclair npr, or what. I'm looking to invest between 2-4 thousand for a package. Based upon tha semi narrow field, whom would you recommend?

Best,

BR

What do you need the camera for?, animation, sports, wildlife, fiction, documenaries... etc... that'll help you take your decission regarding camera model and dealer. Check out visualproducts.com, cameraspro.com for refferecne.

regards!

I guess whatever strikes my fancy. Well, that's not quite right. I already have a Bolex for animation and MOS stuff. I'm looking now for a good, workhorse camera that can shoot sync sound. This is for graduate school (Im looking at KU's grad school in film). But I guess this camera would be intended for whatever comes up, be it docs or shorts. I looked at the visual products website, and although I've been eyeing an eclair for a while, the CP16 was intriguing? Any thoughts? I've heard since the CP isn't made anymore that parts are a real b*%ch to find.

Best,

BR

• Premium Member

You can have a CP16R overhauled for a decent price at Visual Products (my choice) or Whitehouse AV. Some parts are being special made for the camera, but I've not heard of anyone having a problem getting parts for them (Eclairs aren't being made anymore, either).

I have a CP16R and after an overhaul it is silent and runs smoothly.