BELL & HOWELL 200 EE

Guest FilmmakerJack

Guest FilmmakerJack

Hey, I just bid on this item on ebay for some reason. It was completely implusive. The camera is a BELL & HOWELL 200 EE. Am I going to totally regret this? Or should I just take the camera. The bid is at 10 dollars with 19 dollars shipping.

Hey, I just bid on this item on ebay for some reason. It was completely implusive. The camera is a BELL & HOWELL 200 EE. Am I going to totally regret this? Or should I just take the camera. The bid is at 10 dollars with 19 dollars shipping.

I have to say I'm not too familiar with the 200EE.

The big problem with the 200EE is that it is a magaziine camera and those magazines may well not be so easy to come by. There is a company that supplies film pre loaded into these magazines however but it's more expensive as you would expect..

They are supposed to be very steady cameras in terms of registration.

For 10 dollars you can't go too wrong, although 19 dollars shipping seems like a lot.

It's cheaper than an A-Minima tho, or even hiring one. ;)

The 16mm Bell and Howell cameras I have seen have all been really, really good quality. The filmo is obviously very nice as is the 240EE and similar, and they both take normal 100ft spools.

love

Freya

Guest Ian Marks

$19 seems a bit high for shipping for an item this size - I've just been stung with a $20 shipping charge on a ninety-nine cent purchase (a Nikon Super-8, which, alas, is toast, but them's the breaks). I think the biggest drawback to the EE cameras is the lack of real lens interchangeability. If you find C-mount version (without the EE feature) you'll be able to fit a wide variety of fairly inexpensive lenses. With a cheap Cosmicar (or other make) super-wide lens you get a very compact "crash camera" that you can mount to a helmet or bicycle, or place in a confined space like a mailbox for unusual angles. These cameras are all non-reflex so you don't have to worry much about the back element of the lens extending too far into the camera (no mirror or prism to hit). As for the 50-foot magazines, you'll probably want to find a couple of those as well for reloading. However, for a total investment of $29, you can't go too wrong.

$19 seems a bit high for shipping for an item this size - I've just been stung with a $20 shipping charge on a ninety-nine cent purchase (a Nikon Super-8, which, alas, is toast, but them's the breaks). I think the biggest drawback to the EE cameras is the lack of real lens interchangeability. If you find C-mount version (without the EE feature) you'll be able to fit a wide variety of fairly inexpensive lenses. With a cheap Cosmicar (or other make) super-wide lens you get a very compact "crash camera" that you can mount to a helmet or bicycle, or place in a confined space like a mailbox for unusual angles. These cameras are all non-reflex so you don't have to worry much about the back element of the lens extending too far into the camera (no mirror or prism to hit). As for the 50-foot magazines, you'll probably want to find a couple of those as well for reloading. However, for a total investment of $29, you can't go too wrong.

Keep the Nikon Super8 and see if you can do a shuterlless manual crank modification thing on it, the nikons are supposed to be good for that:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett.../sleepP.shtml#p

Search the forum at:

http://www.filmshooting.com/

for more info.

love

Freya

Guest Ian Marks

I've heard of the shutterless Nikon thing, but I don't quite get what it's all about. There's been a bad leak in the battery chamber of my camera, and I don't think the thing will ever run again. The lens looks good, however. If someone here would like the camera to experiment on, they can have it for the cost of postage.

I've heard of the shutterless Nikon thing, but I don't quite get what it's all about.  There's been a bad leak in the battery chamber of my camera, and I don't think the thing will ever run again. The lens looks good, however. If someone here would like the camera to experiment on, they can have it for the cost of postage.

You mean $20! ;)

One of the modifications is to take the side off and get at a disc which can apparently be rotated to drive the camera by hand, admittedly very slowly, but it then can create strange images without any power.

love

Freya

I shoot with a B&H 200 (no electric eye) when I need a small, inexpensive, sturdy camera that takes good shots. It runs from 16-64fps. This winter I went ice skating with it - don't try that with your Arri SR.

Magazine loading is a bit of a pain - you must use double perf film - but after a half dozen practise loads I've gotten it down pretty well.

Your electric eye may be dead from old age, but the rest of the camera should still work in manual exposure.

• 1 month later...
I shoot with a B&H 200 (no electric eye) when I need a small, inexpensive, sturdy camera that takes good shots. It runs from 16-64fps. This winter I went ice skating with it - don't try that with your Arri SR.

Magazine loading is a bit of a pain - you must use double perf film - but after a half dozen practise loads I've gotten it down pretty well.

Your electric eye may be dead from old age, but the rest of the camera should still work in manual exposure.

Robert,

Maybe you can help me out. I just received a photocopy of an article from Amateur Photographer (1962) that explains how to load these magazines. I can't figure out what they are talking about; and the photos showing a loaded magazine are a terrible photocopy, so thats no help. its says, with my ( ):

"The film is wound emulsion in (easy enough), on to the feed core so that it leads off clockwise, with the slotted end of the core at the bottom (what slotted end?). Then it is lead around the sprocket and dropped into the gate of the magazine. The leader is now passed right along the bottom of the magazine as far as it will go (I'm assuming that after the gate you run the leader along the side to the end?), doubled back through the sprocket and attached so that it winds clockwise on to the take up core. (does this means run it in front of the film thats already going thru the sprocket and then to the take up core?) (and if the film is emulsion in, wouldn't the gate expose the wrong side?)"

This has gotten me pretty confused. Any help would be appreciated. I'm in the process of drawing up a diagram with correct instructions to share with the rest of the world. I'm suprised they are not anywhere on the web, and people have no choice but to pay an arm and a leg to Alan Gordon or the people at Java cycles for mags.

- Derek

I posted a diagram of the inside of the 50' magazine. Perhaps someone in the know can overlay the exact film path on it and post it or email to me. I plan on creating a instructional page so others can reload there own mags; Otherwise these cameras such as the B&H 200ee won't get much use.

go here:

http://www.marazzo.us/50_mag.html

- DM

Here is a photo of a loaded 16mm magazine:

16mm magazine threading example

Notice that the sprocketed film advance wheel has two film strands running thru the wheel path; from feed reel to feed loop and from takeup loop to takeup reel.

Perfect, thats exactly what I needed. Thank you Robert.

Now I'll have to start practicing. I wish I found this forum before i went ahead and bought a photocopy of instructions from the u.k.

- Derek

• 1 year later...

I have to say I'm not too familiar with the 200EE.

The big problem with the 200EE is that it is a magaziine camera and those magazines may well not be so easy to come by. There is a company that supplies film pre loaded into these magazines however but it's more expensive as you would expect..

Do you happen to know the name of that company, or any other source for buying the film for this camera?

Thanks!

Sarah