Using an XL1S for the first time

Brian Rose

Hello All,

I'm normally an 8mm/16mm man, but I have finally gotten an opportunity to use a Canon XL12 camera (Wish I could use a two, but I can't complain) for a documentary. First off, would anyone be able to recommend a source for info for first timers. Yes, I suppose I could read the manual, but I'd like to get a crash course in what to do/not do to achieve best results. Also, what is the average lifespan of a battery in an XL1s? I'd love to hear any info, and I can't wait to try this camera!

Best,

BR

• Premium Member

There's a lot of different batteries for the XL's. The BP-945 is roughly a 5-6 hour battery. BP-930 about 3 hours. My BP-15 lasts about 3 minutes (probably because it's really old). You can buy the dual charger and mount 2 945's on it and shoot most all day. Believe it or not, the XL1s can be a difficult camera to use for a doc. What kind of doc are you shooting?

• Premium Member

Also remember that the viewfinder is not dead on accurate with focusing or with exposure. There is a tendency to underexpose in my experience, so don't let it fool you.

And keep full control of everything. Especially the gain and white balance. If you leave it set on auto you never know what it'll do in any given situation.

If you're using the autofocus lens keep it on manual focus. When you need to focus hit the autofocus button to get you in the neighborhood and then fine tune it yourself.

I'm going to Washington this summer, and so I plan to document the three or four days I'm there. It's part travelogue, part examination of government, pork legislation, post 9/11 security. you name it. And in case there was confusion in the first post (I mistyped the camera name) I will be using an XL1S. You have suggested that it might not be the best camera (I will be walking a bit, but I like the shoulder style mount). Would you suggest I get something smaller, even if it is a step down in quality? You see, I am at college, so I have the option of getting either an XL1s from the media dept., or a smaller Sony DCR-TRV17. Which do you think would be a wiser choice?

Thanks.

Best,

BR

Edited by Brian Rose

Guest Adam Valuckas
I'm going to Washington this summer...

I own an Xl1S, i would use that over the smaller sony. For starters you will have a lot more control over your image plus its a cool looking camera! LOL What i mean by that is sometimes people take you more serious with larger cameras. "oh! your a camera man, go ahead" and people get out of your way!!

The image stabilization on the servo lenses is pretty good, that will help alot when your walking around. If you can't carry a tripod i would suggest getting a nice monopod like from bogan. They are great for quick shooting with smaller cameras.

Good luck on your Doc.!!

• Premium Member

Or for a little extra oomph to your image as a camerman, you could always buy one of the shoulder braces that are mentioned in another post in this forum.